Releasing via NexusMods

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Azteca

Re: Releasing via NexusMods

Post by Azteca »

I think Deepfighter's reaction shows the tension that is present at this point in the game's cycle.

DFU has been a very niche, high-quality community for years.
Since alpha, more streamers and general gamers are interested in playing.
Instead of lurking the forums for a few days, many want the drive-thru experience that they are accustomed to with Skyrim, Morrowind etc.

No matter what, DFU is growing in popularity and will continue to draw in new players. We have seen this on the forums and elsewhere. This is a time of transition and growing pains.

I expressed my reservations but as I typed my response I found my opposition weakening, and I found FieldsingAround's response convincing.

I think until we hit 1.0, it will still be important that devs, mods and players all be aware of ongoing changes. So much is in flux and the explanations aren't always simple with the peculiarities of Daggerfall. I think these forums will always be headquarters for DFU. But I do remember just how easy it was to use Nexus and their Vortex tool to try out a long list of recommend mods. With DFU, it should be even simpler - no cleaning files and such.

Now, should existing devs and modders divert much of their attention from the task at hand to make sure Nexus is working perfectly? No, I don't think so. But it may be simpler to take advantage of its benefits than any of us expect.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, things will change as more ppl get aware of this project. I agree that the smaller community is nice, the more ppl come, the more hassle, younger audience usually brings less respect, casuals, you know the drill. This has been a nice small community without such problems in 99% of times, and I loved it that way.

The plan was to move from forums with the mods, that has been stated before. Its more convenient, but comes with the price, as always. Fragmentation, more places to take care of... than there are the mods on other sites, which can ban you etc.

I agree that for example the need to have a account on nexus is something I hate. On the other hands, its the place where TES community is located for a while...

Everything has its pros and cons.

I think we should pioneer.. keep the forums as a main hub, but expand the borders. Thats where the progress lies, always.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

My experience with ModDB has been negative. I only had one mod to upload there, and that alone was a nightmare to update and change. Unless the Nexus can promise a more user-friendly environment for a modder to work with, I can't use it.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I can't say I am a fan of nexusmod and vortex although I have used both to download and upload mods for the newer games. So I can see the benefit of a well known repository for mods but I also under stand that with the way things are the community has more control over how things are developed. I am in the camp that says lets wait until we are out of the development stages with a solid build that is as close to bug free as possible.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:21 pm My experience with ModDB has been negative. I only had one mod to upload there, and that alone was a nightmare to update and change. Unless the Nexus can promise a more user-friendly environment for a modder to work with, I can't use it.
Agreed, uploading to ModDb is PITA

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Just to clarify. I am not against Nexus if that's the best and most convenient way for everyone. :) I just love that Daggerfall enthusiast's are gathered here with his projects and hope that it stays like that for a long time, as I personally really missed such a platform since the Daggerfall newsgroups from the 90's. And I don't like fragmentation on projects, especially in such a - "still early" - development stage. But besides that, I am fine. ;)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I'm just a player, not a mod developer... but what Deepfighter said just above. :)
Last edited by mikeprichard on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FieldsingAround

Post by FieldsingAround »

Jay_H wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:21 pm My experience with ModDB has been negative. I only had one mod to upload there, and that alone was a nightmare to update and change. Unless the Nexus can promise a more user-friendly environment for a modder to work with, I can't use it.
Yes Nexus has a fairly straight forward UI for uploading and editing files, the Nexus staff have been really good with refining features over the years.

@deepfighter — I've never said to scrap the forum, remotely, just that it's not a good vehicle for public releases of mods, or for keeping mod users updated of new releases. There's no need for the hostility and accusing me of being disrespectful, all I'm doing is pointing out a need that the DFU community needs to look into utilizing the best platform in the wider community for managing mod distribution. Plenty of other modding projects also use forums alongside Nexus, and I wouldn't argue they shouldn't, it's just a matter of what is best for specific purpose, and not assuming your forum can cater to everything - especially now releases are going out to a wider audience with the move into a stable Alpha build.

King of Worms wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:19 pm Yes, things will change as more ppl get aware of this project. I agree that the smaller community is nice, the more ppl come, the more hassle, younger audience usually brings less respect, casuals, you know the drill. This has been a nice small community without such problems in 99% of times, and I loved it that way.

The plan was to move from forums with the mods, that has been stated before. Its more convenient, but comes with the price, as always. Fragmentation, more places to take care of... than there are the mods on other sites, which can ban you etc.

I agree that for example the need to have a account on nexus is something I hate. On the other hands, its the place where TES community is located for a while...

Everything has its pros and cons.

I think we should pioneer.. keep the forums as a main hub, but expand the borders. Thats where the progress lies, always.
Might be worth trialing Nexus for yourself with your current release, and reporting back to the community here on the impression of the platform once you've used it for a bit :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Now, for the sake of exploring (and without speaking for anyone else or making a decision), what kind of space would Daggerfall Unity have on Nexus if a large number of us decided to host there? Would we remain on the Daggerfall Nexus section or would there be a dedicated DFU section? The mods for the two iterations are almost entirely incompatible, similar to Skyrim and Skyrim:SE.

FieldsingAround

Post by FieldsingAround »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm Now, for the sake of exploring (and without speaking for anyone else or making a decision), what kind of space would Daggerfall Unity have on Nexus if a large number of us decided to host there? Would we remain on the Daggerfall Nexus section or would there be a dedicated DFU section? The mods for the two iterations are almost entirely incompatible, similar to Skyrim and Skyrim:SE.
Morrowind and OpenMW are in a similar position — currently OpenMW mods are just uploaded to the standard MW site, and that seems to work well for them without issue (with OpenMW in the mod titles — the tagging feature can also be used for this). It's possible Neus could arrange for a /DFU / /daggerfall-unity subsite (like with Skyrim SSE), however there's only a handful of original Daggerfall mods on the Daggerfall nexus currently, so in effect the DFU community would have full run on the platform.