Trees Of Daggerfall [PERFORMANCE PROBLEM/SOLUTIONS]

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall [PERFORMANCE PROBLEM/SOLUTIONS]

Post by Hazelnut »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm But I want that variation in the game, when its already programmed. I dont want to get rid of one season. We can make the jungle winter different, less snowy, maybe just make it more muddy and less green, whatever...
Sounds good to me, I also agree seasonal variation is good.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I dont like my winter version anyway, so I can recreate it without snow.

It will also depend on if we can get a different nature bilboards for winter jungle. Now they are same as in summer. This must go hand in hand

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:40 pm Great, glad to hear you're not finding any issues.
Well, there are no issues while playing (testing), if thats what you are thinking about?

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:40 pm I'll take a look at the issue with location natures in alternate seasons. How do the filenames differ?
I can send you my winter test demo MOD, if you want -to test it. It has only 2 trees but it'll do the job.

ADDENDUM -Ok Ive checked just now, in your (@Hazelnut) version (Alpha 0.10.7) at least, of the DU, winter set works inside places of interest (eg towns).

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:22 pm Tedious Travel is going to become really tedious if the trees are solid :lol:
Put Rocks of Daggerfall on top of that for extra fun.

DeltaOfPie

Post by DeltaOfPie »

Maybe you could use a "snow shader".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/commen ... ow_shader/

Doesn't look too neat, but at least gives the impression that there is snow, when everything else is covered.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Tedious Travel is going to become really tedious if the trees are solid :lol:
I would prefer them to have collisions. Fighting in a forest would be a whole different experience, especially when weapon collisions my combat overhaul has added. Could you just enable a no clip mode for the player when they initiate tedious travel, so they just clip through objects?
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 am
Tedious Travel is going to become really tedious if the trees are solid :lol:
I would prefer them to have collisions. Fighting in a forest would be a whole different experience, especially when weapon collisions my combat overhaul has added. Could you just enable a no clip mode for the player when they initiate tedious travel, so they just clip through objects?
While that would work you risk getting random encounters inside of trees or rocks that could possibly get you stuck.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Oh, true, didn't consider that. Could you do a quick check of some type to see if the player is within an object/collision mesh and move them out? Or do you, yet again, run the risk of moving them into something and getting them stuck. Or, not initiate the encounter if they are in an object?
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Update:
Ive added one more LOD group in between the highest and billboards, which makes transitions to be a bit smoother, so no more that much obvious snapping between LODs. Also Ive increased the resolution of the billboards, from previous 512x512 to 1024x1024, which gives a little bit clearer image of the trees of the billboards distance.

This decreased performance for just a little bit, from previous MOD iteration of just 1 lod and 1 billboard(512x512). Its not much, it is pretty much playable still, but it was the only way to balance all things together. Hopefully as @Hazelnut said, he could increase performance for just a little bit more from the present version. So finger crossed.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

VMblast wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:17 am Update:
Ive added one more LOD group in between the highest and billboards, which makes transitions to be a bit smoother, so no more that much obvious snapping between LODs. Also Ive increased the resolution of the billboards, from previous 512x512 to 1024x1024, which gives a little bit clearer image of the trees of the billboards distance.

This decreased performance for just a little bit, from previous MOD iteration of just 1 lod and 1 billboard(512x512). Its not much, it is pretty much playable still, but it was the only way to balance all things together. Hopefully as @Hazelnut said, he could increase performance for just a little bit more from the present version. So finger crossed.

:o :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now, if this beauty can run on my PC at 60fps, then I'm golden :lol: