3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

Re: 3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Post by King of Worms »

Thats the most hilarious post Ive seen for a while, the topic, music and gif... OMG :lol:

ebbpp

Post by ebbpp »

Pretty much this. HD textures are nice, but this mod would be a "must have". Although we live in difficult times, hoping this will be made someday, somehow.
emmathepony wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:45 pm I can only imagine one day all the NPC, enemy and paper doll sprites transition to fully 3D. This will be the ultimate RPG lol

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Just a little update: With TheLacus's help, I've made a lot of progress implementing UMA and SpriteWrite into a mod. In my own project, I have the villagers spawning as 3D models. At the moment, they are all naked since I haven't had time to learn enough about Blender to make new clothing models for them to wear. At the moment, I'm currently trying to create new animations so they characters have a vanilla Daggerfall looking walk animation and several idle animations to cycle through. So far I've been able to generate a character rig using Rigify in Blender, but I can't figure out how to get the elbow joints pointed correctly. Most animation tutorials talk about having pole controls that determine where the elbow points, but the generated rig doesn't have those, so animation is a little difficult.

On the SpriteWrite side of it, I've used AmplifyShader to create a custom sprite shader that (optionally) makes the resulting sprite look more retro. It posterizes the color and adds some dithering.

Once I have a few proper animations and a few outfits for male and female townsfolk, I'll release some videos.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im really interested to see it in action :geek:

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Okay, I created a quick video to show it in action. Sorry for the poor video quality.

Not safe for work (they don't have clothes yet!)
https://gfycat.com/aromaticfrequentfiddlercrab

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Wow that switch to sprite is absolutely badass

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Bonkers! Congrats on getting it working!

If a 3D artist wanted to create a model for use in this pipeline, what would the requirements be? Any particular formats or features required??

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Congrats on getting it working!
Don't get too excited; It is working only in the Unity editor. :oops: Getting it working in DFU stand alone is another story altogether.

Well, Hrafni volunteered to do some models and animations, which if you haven't seen his work yet- I suggest you check it out. It's really good. The models I need for this pipeline are mostly clothes and accessories. I will have to do some work in Blender to make them fit the base UMA model, then import them into a global library in the UMA Unity framework, then I should be able to apply them to any UMA character in game at any time, regardless of their body shape. In terms of formats, I guess either .blend files or .FBX would work fine.

It looks like I won't be able to fully integrate UMA until DFU gets updated to Unity 2019.4 LTS. With support of later versions of .NET, I should be able to use UMA 2.10 which I've been able to successfully compile into an assembly, but it doesn't work with the current .NET 2.0.

If Hrafni can get me a base male and female model with some clothes/accessories, then I can start with that without having to use UMA for the meantime.

pattywhacked

Post by pattywhacked »

Is this still in progress? Would love to try this out!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

No, I'm afraid not. I've been so busy with other projects that I haven't had a chance to try to compile UMA for the newest version of DFU.

After Hrafni started making high quality humanoid models, I kinda felt less enthused about going through the trouble integrating UMA into DFU.

I was going to help Hrafni implement his models into the game, but I don't think he's been around lately, probably tied up with IRL stuff if I had to guess.