Mob click override

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Yagiza

Mob click override

Post by Yagiza »

Looking into PlayerActivate.cs, I found no way to overide reaction on enemy click. Does that mean, that if I want to implement interaction with mobs by clicking them, I need to patch game core instead of creating a mob?

Jay_H

Re: Mob click override

Post by Jay_H »

This is going to be added in a near-future quest actions mod. It's already functional, and is waiting on more features before release.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

What Jay? That's great for when running a quest, but a more general mod facility is needed as well. I'm also quite surprised to hear about a quest actions mod because I don't recall anything being discussed around here about something like that. In fact I'm beginning to become concerned that the Discord server is having the effect of splitting the DFU community.

Yagiza, mod support is being added as it's needed. You can register custom activations on models, but not mobs yet. Unless you need this for a quest, in which case it seems someone has got you covered.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The idea behind the quest action mod is to prevent the need for an expansion of DFU core code, which would require someone to maintain it when that isn't always guaranteed. As we approach 1.0, it becomes less and less likely big core changes are to be implemented. A mod ensures that it can always be worked on even if it doesn't make it into the base game.

If any feature is well-liked enough, it can certainly be transplanted from the mod into the base game.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It's a good idea, not criticising that. Just that this is happening completely away from these forums where discussion and advice for DFU has generally been done. I hope the implementations outside of core aren't having to do hacky nasty things to achieve their goals. Quite curious as to what actions are being made... guess I will find out when is released or when I decide to pop into the discord.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 pm Yagiza, mod support is being added as it's needed. You can register custom activations on models, but not mobs yet. Unless you need this for a quest, in which case it seems someone has got you covered.
Adding mob click action for questing is also an important thing. But right now I need it not for questing, but to make Etiquette and language skills interactive. To d it, I need
  1. An ability to override default mob click action with my own
  2. Ability to override default Etiquette and language skill usage (not sure if it's possible right now)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

1. This can be added like I did for models. but is currently not possible. You can still develop your mod in the meantime by making a modification to DFU code to call your mod. Obviously not okay to release but would prevent you being impeded while there's no modding feature for this yet.

2. This is possible, and that's what the Archs guild does to increase the usefulness of the language skills. The code is available in my github repo.

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:00 pm 1. This can be added like I did for models. but is currently not possible. You can still develop your mod in the meantime by making a modification to DFU code to call your mod. Obviously not okay to release but would prevent you being impeded while there's no modding feature for this yet.

2. This is possible, and that's what the Archs guild does to increase the usefulness of the language skills. The code is available in my github repo.
Thank you! Will examine it.