Unity Editor Version

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
UnopenedCanofSpoopy

Unity Editor Version

Post by UnopenedCanofSpoopy »

Which version of Unity editor am I supposed to be using? I can't seem to get anything to work, plus I can't seem to find anything anywhere stating which one to use to make mods or compile the github version of Daggerfall Unity.
-Latest version: complains that the Daggerfall tools are too old and need an older version, tons of errors/warnings about deprecated API and incorrect scripting.
-Tried using the suggested version, but then the tools menu options weren't showing up.
-Saw on one tutorial that the person recommended 2018.4.21, tried that, the menu option will show up...until you close the editor, at which point every time I re-start the project it refuses to show back up. Plus started having issues with the script compiler.

TheLacus

Re: Unity Editor Version

Post by TheLacus »

Recommended version is 2018.2.21f1 (see Readme). If you are using this version and have compile errors, make sure to set Player settings to full .NET 2.0.

UnopenedCanofSpoopy

That's the thing though, I followed the tutorial, and set the API compatibility level and everything, and am using the Unity version you mentioned. I still get a mysteriously disappearing Daggerfall menu and script errors. Creating a blank project and then importing the tools simply gives me no Daggerfall menu option at all.

Could someone please give an exact, precise list of steps of getting Unity set up? This really shouldn't be needed, but for whatever reason no matter what version of Unity I install I can't get anything to work. And having to spend all day to download a version of the editor, install it, delete and wipe everything, start over and pick another version, is starting to really wear down both my SSD drive and my patience.

JorisVanEijden

Post by JorisVanEijden »

What does the console say?

UnopenedCanofSpoopy

Never mind I got it working. After re-installing the recommended version for what must be the 100th time, I used git desktop to copy the Daggerfall Unity files, instead of clicking on the "download as zip" option on the site and then copy-pasting those over to the project. I'm not sure how that would make any difference but I'm not going to question it too much.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Glad it's working now. There shouldn't be any difference between downloading current version as zip archive and cloning the repository. Note that the content of the repository is the project so i'm not sure what you mean with copying files over the project. I think it's worth to note that Daggerfall Unity is the actual game (hosted on Github) while Daggerfall Tools for Unity is a set of tools.

If you wish to use Daggerfall Tools for Unity for your own project you may have better luck using the last standalone version instead.