Need Help - Can't add retextured paperdoll body textures

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
HammerBro

Need Help - Can't add retextured paperdoll body textures

Post by HammerBro »

Hey folks.
I have some trouble replacing paperdoll body textures. I was toying around with the female redguard textures, i.e. body 11I0 and 11I1. I extracted both using Daggerfall Imaging 2, made edits to them in GIMP, and then tried to put them in DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures

My problem is that my textures didn't load in game and I'm left with the default body textures.
I've tried with both CifRci and Img folders, but neither seem to work.

I've also tried to install another texture mod, specifically this Alita portrait mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/78
With this one i followed the instructions, inserting CifRci and all and it worked perfectly.

Filenames for my textures:
BODY11I0.IMG.png
BODY11I1.IMG.png

Do you have any advice? Where could it have gone wrong?

King of Worms

Re: Need Help - Can't add retextured paperdoll body textures

Post by King of Worms »

No idea, you should place em in streamingassets/textures/img which is what you tried and your naming appears to be correct.

Maybe share the file and I can place it in the correct folder and see if it works for me.

My body swaps work for all bodies, so I have no idea why you have these issues.

PS: Do you have "Asset injection" enabled in the game options? ts under the "enhancements" tab I guess

HammerBro

Post by HammerBro »

I did have asset injection turned on, but it didn't seem to matter. Other mods, such as the Alita portrait, worked perfectly.

I am pretty much an amateur and there seems to be a weird lack of body mods on the nexus, so i couldn't really copycat anyone.

Without further ado, i have attached my files, which contains both the nude and underwear versions. Obvious nudity and bad editing warnings.

Are there any faults with the texture itself? Does Daggerfall have a limited color palette? Are there any recommended programs or can i stick with GIMP?

Are there any other steps i may have missed?
Attachments
Hammerbro's Test Body Textures.rar
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

UnopenedCanofSpoopy

Post by UnopenedCanofSpoopy »

HammerBro wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:49 pm I did have asset injection turned on, but it didn't seem to matter. Other mods, such as the Alita portrait, worked perfectly.

I am pretty much an amateur and there seems to be a weird lack of body mods on the nexus, so i couldn't really copycat anyone.

Without further ado, i have attached my files, which contains both the nude and underwear versions. Obvious nudity and bad editing warnings.

Are there any faults with the texture itself? Does Daggerfall have a limited color palette? Are there any recommended programs or can i stick with GIMP?

Are there any other steps i may have missed?
My Alita mod only replaces the head, it doesn't change the body or anything else.

HammerBro

Post by HammerBro »

UnopenedCanofSpoopy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:21 pm My Alita mod only replaces the head, it doesn't change the body or anything else.
You are fully correct on this point. I also acknowledge that it is a different image format.
That being said, the reason why i brought it up as a point is that it was the closest thing to what i was trying to do: A re-texture.
I was originally trying to look for a body re-texture to see if it was possible. Sadly, the types of people behind body mods in the more modern elder scrolls games seemingly haven't applied themselves to Daggerfall yet.
I do not intend to discredit your work, call you out or spread (what i assume to be) misinformation about portraits being replaceable, but not bodies. I am merely confused as to why my own efforts in a similar field fail.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi!

The name of your textures ends with .IMG.png.png instead of .IMG.png. The extension is probably not shown by your OS. If you're on Windows and want to change this behaviour, you can do it from file explorer options.

HammerBro

Post by HammerBro »

Thank you TheLacus!
Kinda funny that the issue was technically a windows problem rather than a Daggerfall problem
At the same time it's good to know that it's rather easy to fix.
Removing the extra "png" and naming it properly has gotten it to work perfectly. Granted, the first test did have the black background, but it was an easy fix with fuzzy select and cutting.

Thanks for the good support guys!