Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

Re: Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Post by King of Worms »

fosley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:48 am Two problems.

Problem the First

I'm having difficulty trying to do an upscaled replacement for the joystick calibration screen textures.

They don't show up at all in the base DFU as far as I can tell (the joystick screen has been replaced by something custom), but the one texture, CNFG04I0.IMG, is used for the interface in the Decorator mod.

When I put the texture in my game folder, it replaces the texture in the mod, but the scaling is really wonky. I've tried several versions of .xml files. I named the file CNFG04I0.IMG.xml and placed it right beside CNFG04I0.IMG.png.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<scaleX>0.1</scaleX>
	<scaleY>0.1</scaleY>
</info>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<scaleX>10</scaleX>
	<scaleY>10</scaleY>
</info>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<width>1080</width>
	<height>1300</height>
</info>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<width>108</width>
	<height>130</height>
</info>
None of these seem to have any affect on the in-game texture I'm seeing. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Problem the Second

I want to replace the spell icons in the game. DREAM gives me replacements for custom spells, but not the standard spells. So I'm in the process of copy/pasting/recoloring some of the DREAM icons into a replacement map for the original file, ICON00I0.IMG, and it's working fine. But from this UESP page, it seems only a few icons get used for standard spells, so there are a lot of duplicates.

An even better solution would be if I could replace each base effect with its own icon. And it appears there's a way to do that. The iconpack.txt files include the line "suggestedEffects": null for each icon, suggesting "null" could be replaced by an effect name to do exactly what I want.

In SpellIconCollection.cs, there's a property for suggestedEffects as well. It looks like it's an array of strings, so I tried "suggestedEffects": ["Fortify"], which at least didn't drop my framerate to 6 fps while it apparently kept failing at loading the file (as other attempts did), but had no effect in game. I also tried "Fortify Endurance", "Fortitude" and "FortifyEndurance".

Am I doing something wrong, or am I not understanding what that's for?
Fosley, u need to post this un help and support or somewhere else, here the thread is basically dead, Im sorry about that

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

fosley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:48 am Two problems.

Problem the First

I'm having difficulty trying to do an upscaled replacement for the joystick calibration screen textures.

They don't show up at all in the base DFU as far as I can tell (the joystick screen has been replaced by something custom), but the one texture, CNFG04I0.IMG, is used for the interface in the Decorator mod.

When I put the texture in my game folder, it replaces the texture in the mod, but the scaling is really wonky. I've tried several versions of .xml files. I named the file CNFG04I0.IMG.xml and placed it right beside CNFG04I0.IMG.png.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<scaleX>0.1</scaleX>
	<scaleY>0.1</scaleY>
</info>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<scaleX>10</scaleX>
	<scaleY>10</scaleY>
</info>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<width>1080</width>
	<height>1300</height>
</info>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>    
	<width>108</width>
	<height>130</height>
</info>
None of these seem to have any affect on the in-game texture I'm seeing. Any assistance would be appreciated.
The size of the UI panel is probably set to resolution of texture image. This is an effective way to create a window as it would have appeared in classic game, so i assume this is what the author of that mod did. In order to support textures with different resolution, this should be changed to have a fixed panel size and only scale background image to fill it. This must be done by mod author, you can't change this behaviour with xml files.

Mod author can also expose additional custom images for replacement, if needed.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

fosley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:48 am Problem the Second

I want to replace the spell icons in the game. DREAM gives me replacements for custom spells, but not the standard spells. So I'm in the process of copy/pasting/recoloring some of the DREAM icons into a replacement map for the original file, ICON00I0.IMG, and it's working fine. But from this UESP page, it seems only a few icons get used for standard spells, so there are a lot of duplicates.

An even better solution would be if I could replace each base effect with its own icon. And it appears there's a way to do that. The iconpack.txt files include the line "suggestedEffects": null for each icon, suggesting "null" could be replaced by an effect name to do exactly what I want.

In SpellIconCollection.cs, there's a property for suggestedEffects as well. It looks like it's an array of strings, so I tried "suggestedEffects": ["Fortify"], which at least didn't drop my framerate to 6 fps while it apparently kept failing at loading the file (as other attempts did), but had no effect in game. I also tried "Fortify Endurance", "Fortitude" and "FortifyEndurance".

Am I doing something wrong, or am I not understanding what that's for?
I don't belive suggestedEffects is currently used for anything, but Interkarma may know more about this one.