Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
MasonFace

Re: Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Post by MasonFace »

Ah, when I click dragged to grab just the "273" archive records for the package, I missed the first frame thinking that the XML was before all the other images... I didn't look carefully; sorry about that. :oops:

I've corrected the package and re-uploaded it for testing.

I know this wasn't the issue for my mod file because I used select all and got ALL the files in the folder and have verified that all frames are there.

Ghost Transparency Test 2

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Sorry, i wasn't clear in my previous post. The issue with the scale is what makes the billboard invisible: if you provide an xml file but not a custom scale, zero is incorrectly used as default. You can solve it if you manually provide a value of one, otherwise wait for next build when this will be the default value.

Code: Select all

<scaleX>1</scaleX>
<scaleY>1</scaleY>

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Ah, gotcha.

I tried adding the scale code to the XML file and the frame shows up again, but nothing is transparent. :cry:

I tried lowering the alpha on the source image down real low just in case it was just not very noticeable in game, but it didn't change anything.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Ah, i didn't notice it. You are putting the rendering mode in the meta file for the record instead of the file for the archive. (check daggerfall-unity/modding/textures/#billboard > Mobile). Also note that you want to use Fade, not Transparent. ;)
Attachments
ghost.png
ghost.png (264.66 KiB) Viewed 6459 times

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Well, I changed the name of the XML file from "273_0-0.xml" to "273.xml" and changed the code to this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>
	<renderMode>Fade</renderMode>
	<scaleX>1</scaleX>
	<scaleY>1</scaleY>
</info>
I made sure to include it in the .dfmod and built it per usual. Loaded up the game and now each frame has no transparency. :cry:
Fade.png
Fade.png (99.04 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
I still haven't updated DFTFU. Could that really cause this problem though? I'm running the MOD in DFU alpha 0.10.4.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I tested it from the Unity Editor but i really should also have checked behaviour with a final build; i'll do it tomorrow. If you want, try running it from the Editor (place it inside StreamingAssets/Mods as usual) and, if it works, include a dummy material with the mod using Fade rendermode. That's should prevent optimization that strips unused shader keywords, which caused similar effects in the past.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Doesn't work in Unity. I included a material with the standard shader using "Fade" rendering mode and it didn't help. :cry:

If it's working on your end, then I must be doing something wrong on my end. You've spent enough of your time trying to help me; I'll keep investigating on my end and see if I can figure it out. I may reach out to you later if I still can't find a solution in a few days.

Thanks for your time, TheLacus!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I updated DFTFU to 1.8.5 and it seems to be working now!

Thanks for all your help, TheLacus! Ghosts are lookin' good now!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

That's good to hear!

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Sorry to dig this back up, but I just had someone post on the Nexusmods page for PVE that the ghosts are showing full black instead of transparency like in this screenshot from before.

I have confirmed that it is working as expected in Unity, but it doesn't work correctly in DFU on my computer. I've double checked that I have a dummy material packaged in the DFMOD file with the standard shader and fade rendering mode. I named the material "Fade_Dummy".

Can you double check and see if the previous package that you got working in DFTFU also works in the final build on your machine?