Modding Tutorials: Asset-Injection

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
TheLacus

Re: [GUIDE] Mesh, Texture and Sound replacement

Post by TheLacus »

Often the size of ui panels is dependent on the textures size, so higher resolutions cause what you described. It's an easy fix to make them always use the vanilla size, it just requires time to test all of them and see what is working and what is not. Thank you for reporting this.

Arl

Post by Arl »

This means is not on my end?

How about those files that are't replaced, like the SPOP graphics and also the local map (AMAP00I0.IMG), I put my .png named AMAP00I0.IMG.png inside textures/img folder but it isn't shown in game like the other stuff.

Regardless of those issues, I have to say that this replacement of graphics is really exiting stuff for me.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Don't worry there is nothing wrong with what you're doing. Thanks again for reporting these issues.

TheLacus

Re: Mesh and Texture replacement - guide

Post by TheLacus »

kingOfWyrms wrote: Does this mean we'll need to have a separate asset pack for each item we're replacing?
From the next build it will be possible to include more assets in a single assetbundle and release it as a mod, with its own description, load order and all. Thanks again Lypyl for your awesome modding system.

Arl

Post by Arl »

I want to report that since the last live build (April 20) buttons and the save/load/exit panel fits correctly. The things that didn't get replaced before now got replaced, but with the same scaling problem:

(The image depicts one piece of patchment tile along with that piece of stone that you use to assign points).

Also, I don't know who has jurisdiction in this, but another issue that I found is that the images don't show up well in the scaled size:

I would like them to look like this:

At first I thought it was because they are big images and they got downscaled this way (my resolution is 1360x768), but there's one equally big image that got scaled beautifully, the inventory screen, so I know it's possible for them to look nice downscaled.

That's it.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Can you give me the name of all the images that are affected by the same problem as the parchment?
Arl wrote:
Also, I don't know who has jurisdiction in this, but another issue that I found is that the images don't show up well in the scaled size:

I would like them to look like this:

At first I thought it was because they are big images and they got downscaled this way (my resolution is 1360x768), but there's one equally big image that got scaled beautifully, the inventory screen, so I know it's possible for them to look nice downscaled.
Look like it's stretched due to the different aspect ratio.
Also i noticed that all the images of the menu (change char, classic loading) are unaffected by filtermode. Interkarma, shouldn't they use either the Gui or the Main filter?

Arl

Post by Arl »

TheLacus wrote:Can you give me the name of all the images that are affected by the same problem as the parchment?
So far CHAR03I1.IMG is the one giving problems right now. I haven't replaced all the images yet, so if there are more issues with other images I'm yet to encounter them, I'll get back to you in case I do.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

with latest live build (build #64) and current version from git it is possible to replace terrain tiles if the system supports texture arrays (which can be seen as info text in the advanced settings window - if it is supported and enabled).

terrain tile archives need to be replaced as whole, that means e.g. woodland terrain set 302: all 56 records of the archive need to have a replacement texture with the same dimensions and format.

these map types can be replaced (one or multiple):
  • albedo map
  • normal map
  • metallic gloss map (currently only used by Realtime Reflections mod if present)
but if you decide to use replacements for a specific map type set make sure to provide replacements for all 56 records!
(exception is the metallic gloss map, where you can also just provide specific replacement textures and a default texture will be created and used for records that had no replacement provided)

It is possible to use different texture sizes for the different map type sets, e.g. 512x512 textures for (all) albedo maps and 128x128 textures for (all) normal maps.

I tested with replacement textures up to 2048x2048. Since loading times went up significantly on my system (about a minute instead of a few seconds) I would suggest to go for a reasonable texture size, e.g. 512x512

Arl

Post by Arl »

Is it now possible in the latest build (Fighters Update) to replace the parchment tiles (SPOP) and the YES/NO buttons?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Arl wrote:Is it now possible in the latest build (Fighters Update) to replace the parchment tiles (SPOP)
4-0.PNG
4-0.PNG (572 Bytes) Viewed 7957 times
and the YES/NO buttons?
3-0.PNG
3-0.PNG (593 Bytes) Viewed 7957 times