daggerfall in-game bestiary?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
agris

daggerfall in-game bestiary?

Post by agris »

Based on some old posts in the loading screen mod thread, I went looking for concept art to use as loading screens. I found this page, which contains some Bestiary screens that look to be in-game:

Was this part of Daggerfall at one point - perhaps in the demo - and later removed? Has there been any efforts made to re-introduce a bestiary?

pango

Re: daggerfall in-game bestiary?

Post by pango »

That's a screenshot from one of the demos, I don't remember which one exactly
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

agris

Post by agris »

pango wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:09 pm That's a screenshot from one of the demos, I don't remember which one exactly
Thanks. Has there been any community interest in re-introducing an in-game bestiary?

pango

Post by pango »

That's this demo: https://archive.org/details/TheElderScr ... rfall_1020
(mouse support is a bit finicky, had to switch to/from full screen until mouse cursor dare moving and clicking didn't just close the demo).
The good thing is that it's an example of animations before Mark Jones had to remove 75% of the frames to save memory. The bad thing is that only 9 monsters are depicted
bestiary.jpg
bestiary.jpg (226.43 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

agris

Post by agris »

pango wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:21 pmThe good thing is that it's an example of animations before Mark Jones had to remove 75% of the frames to save memory
If there's higher frame-count animations in this demo, that seems like great material to harvest for a DFU mod. Rather than the odd-looking upscaled sprites, keep the original pixelated goodness but improve the smoothness of the animation.

Is anyone working on pulling old content from these demos (higher frame count animations, beastiary) and implementing it as a mod in DFU?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Please don't tell me there is higher frame count attack animations hiding in these demos I could of harvested. If so, I'll have to consider it in future work on FPS combat systems.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

agris wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:39 pm
pango wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:21 pmThe good thing is that it's an example of animations before Mark Jones had to remove 75% of the frames to save memory
If there's higher frame-count animations in this demo, that seems like great material to harvest for a DFU mod. Rather than the odd-looking upscaled sprites, keep the original pixelated goodness but improve the smoothness of the animation.

Is anyone working on pulling old content from these demos (higher frame count animations, beastiary) and implementing it as a mod in DFU?
Recently I got the Demo faces, and enemies with higher frame count from the 1995 demo. Replacing the games texture files will make them use the higher frame count without issue.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

I just replaced the files in my Arena2 folder.

You can find some pretty cool stuff in there.
Attachments
PNG.rar
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
1995 Sprites.rar
(474.68 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interesting you can switch these enemies to have higher frame count.
Because doing so thru modding is not possible :X

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:16 pm Interesting you can switch these enemies to have higher frame count.
Because doing so thru modding is not possible :X
Being the question, since this is possible, could we mod in new frames from vanilla game files? Then have your DREAM mod upscale the new frames? Would be interesting. Honestly I was surprised it worked myself.