secondaryActionKeyBinds - Well spell hot keys

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
pekkape

secondaryActionKeyBinds - Well spell hot keys

Post by pekkape »

secondaryActionKeyBinds seems interesting in the keybinds.txt but it is empty so far. I also saw a long list of available keys but not a list what we might be able to do.

What do I wanna do??
I want hotkeys for spells. Open the spell book is tedious but I can live with it but I also want it to be solved as well. Does anyone have any ideas about how we can implement new hotkeys or rather new bindings?

pango

Re: secondaryActionKeyBinds - Well spell hot keys

Post by pango »

Yeah, I suggested that a while back. Actually being able to a hotkeys for all kind of actions (pick a specific weapon, toggle lantern,...) would be useful.
But that's not that easy to get right...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pekkape

Post by pekkape »

I guess not. The spells in a spell book seems dynamic and handle dynamic stuff is not always a piece in a cake. But spells and stuff in inventory is also dynamic and we do have a nice solution for this in Oblivion called enhanced Hotkeys.
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/34735

I always warn other modders to add keys to their scripts as we do have a limit of keys at our keyboards after all, but the author of that mod I did mention have a damn nice solution if he gets monopoly to use it... ;) We also have something called OBSE that made it possible to make that mod at all for Oblivion. Maybe our wishes comes true if we read about all keys in the key list?

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

pekkape wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:00 am secondaryActionKeyBinds seems interesting in the keybinds.txt but it is empty so far.
The secondaryActionKeybinds is actually used for the alternate keybinds that you set in the controls window by clicking on the toggle button in the top-right corner. You can use it to provide your own controller mappings or simply alternative buttons to press.

But I definitely would agree that a mod that allows binding a spell to a key would be very useful.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub