Redoing the Banking System

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Ralzar

Re: Redoing the Banking System

Post by Ralzar »

Tkia wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:49 am
Vaitle wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:43 pm
4. Actual consequences for defaulting on loans :D
4a. Add a quest from a noble/banker for getting some expensive scroll/item to "forgive" your debt if you have defaulted on a loan, ideally I would probably make the quest quite drawn out because if I made it to easy the player would never actually have any incentive to pay back their loan with gold and would rather just do a dungeon crawl. Maybe limit it to a one time forgiveness perhaps?
There is a consequence currently. I was poking around in the save file of an imported classic game when I found a defaulted loan flag. After tracking down that region 45 was Pothago I wandered over there and found he was hated and arrest on sight. I even tried sneaking into the bank and paying it off but that didn't clear the persona non grata flag and I couldn't work out any way to repair the faction so a quest option would be great.

I also discovered why one of my low level imports was living in a large ship. That would be due to his large loan! And the only way I found that was to go into the nearest bank and check. Luckily that one was in the province he was currrently in and I got it paid back in time. So if you're doing a banking mod please include some kind of status interface to tell us what loans are where with due dates and amounts so we can keep better track of our finances. :?
If you open your character sheet and clikc "gold" you should get a popup telling you most of this information? Not sure if it includes due dates though.

pango

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:58 am If you open your character sheet and clikc "gold" you should get a popup telling you most of this information? Not sure if it includes due dates though.
Yup, I added regions, amounts and due dates
Reminders also appear in messages (6, 3 and 1 month before due date I believe)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Tkia

Post by Tkia »

pango wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:16 am
Ralzar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:58 am If you open your character sheet and clikc "gold" you should get a popup telling you most of this information? Not sure if it includes due dates though.
Yup, I added regions, amounts and due dates
Reminders also appear in messages (6, 3 and 1 month before due date I believe)
Thanks both. I never thought to check gold on the character sheet. I usually do that from inventory due to the pile in my wagon! That's a great QoL change and having run back through my imported saves I've now found another outstanding loan I need to pay off! I also discovered a couple of other characters with bank accounts in some very odd places that I would never have found ... I'll be using that popup a lot from now on. :D

But the guy with the Pothago problem still has his problem. As this character used to travel a lot I suspect that particular loan is several years passed expired so a mod quest for him to fix that faction would be brilliant.

Vaitle

Post by Vaitle »

I could at least add the quest since I do not foresee myself doing a GUI overhaul anytime soon that would be of good value to put out. Hopefully when I get the time in-between school assignments I can try and plan that out. I did not know that DFU fixed where they actually send guards after you now, I still say the bank should send personal mercenaries though....maybe for certain loan amounts over a certain amount currently. Anyhow, I should plan out how I shall attempt to do this.

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Any updates to this? The idea of banks sending mercs to hunt you is much more exciting and consequential than just losing some rep in a region you'll never visit again. :mrgreen:

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I think banks shouldn't loan the player money until after they establish a reputation. The maximum available money to be loaned should be tied to player rep in the region. This provides added incentive to boost local reputation.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

DunnyOfPenwick wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:44 pm I think banks shouldn't loan the player money until after they establish a reputation. The maximum available money to be loaned should be tied to player rep in the region. This provides added incentive to boost local reputation.
Yup, agreed. It always seemed really weird that you could take out a huge loan without any colatteral.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The legal reputation system is largely untouchable in the vanilla game, so I don't know about using legal rep to cap loan amounts. Reputation with the Court and People of any region is also probably dubious. What about a counter that increments every X days you spend in a region? Say for every 5 days you're in a region, you can borrow 500 gold. It takes a time investment and shows that you're really going to be there for the long term, and prevents people from loan-shopping in other regions. That number could get smaller every 5X days so you don't get to build rep in multiple places.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Which faction is associated with the bankers? There's a faction for just about everyone else in the game, there is probably a banker faction of some sort as well. That could be the primary mechanism for determining loans.

This reminds me of an old game called Darklands set in medieval Germany where you often took quests from the bankers (Medici, Fuggers, Hanseatic League). I kind of wish someone would make an updated Unity version of that game, it had a lot going for it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

There is, but it's universal across all regions. So if you gain a high rep with bankers in Santaki, you'll also have high rep with them in Gavaudon.