What can be causing this bug in a DREAM Handheld module pls?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
King of Worms

What can be causing this bug in a DREAM Handheld module pls?

Post by King of Worms »

Any idea? I had some reports of this from various ppl.. Its hardly visible but can get annoying in dark rooms or during the night. The brightness of the screenshots is altered to show this bug in all its glory :lol:

I think it might be something in the Inspector settings. Can it be the wrap mode? Any suggestion is welcomed, thank you!!

EDIT: Magic weapons (which have in my version soft halo around them) do not have this issue
WHITE LINES 2 Brightness.jpg
WHITE LINES 2 Brightness.jpg (494.91 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
White lines 1 Brightness.jpg
White lines 1 Brightness.jpg (709.47 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Inspector.jpg
Inspector.jpg (111.14 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: What can be causing this bug in a DREAM Handheld module pls?

Post by pango »

Reminds me of poor error diffusion artefacts, I remember seeing results that looked very similar while working on Charcoal Ghosts processing.
But error diffusion could happen at several stages, I'm not sure how much it helps...

Is alpha channel exactly 0 in the transparent areas?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ErkBerserk

Hi KOW lets solve the freakin weapons bug

Post by ErkBerserk »

Hey man, thanks a ton for diverting time to a bug(?) which doesn't even seem to affect many people! Let me know whatever you need.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks Pango, I forgot to add that Magic weapons (which have in my version soft halo/aura around them) do not have this issue according to at least one report (out of 3 reports) So this leads me to the conclusion, it might have something to do with the sprite edge?

I will check that alpha, but I think if the magic weapons do not have the issue (and they are the standard weapons plus halo effect) than its not caused by that.

Also, one user (ErkBerserk) who has that bug agreed to help me troubleshoot it and he will come over here shortly. Thats mostly because I was so far not able to reproduce this bug, so its good to have a person with this problem on board here.

It is not a bug which is isolated to one person tho, I had 3 same reports. I think its not 100s of reports, because this bug is not "in your face" - if you play on dark settings, your monitor is bad etc, you might not notice it. Also, some weapons are worse than other...

Heres the PNG example of the bugged Dwarven sword in standard and magic version. This frame is - I guess - captured on the top screen in the OP.
Spoiler!
WEAPO104.CIF_0-0_Dwarven.png
WEAPO104.CIF_0-0_Dwarven.png (119.83 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
WEAPON04.CIF_0-0_Dwarven.png
WEAPON04.CIF_0-0_Dwarven.png (107.06 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

King of Worms

Re: Hi KOW lets solve the freakin weapons bug

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Erk, thanks for coming over to the forums, I appreciate that. Please lets move the discussion to the thread I set up in aim to solve this bug here:

http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic. ... a46#p53109

There pls tell us:
Does it affect only standard non magic weapons or even the magic weapons for you?

Tell me the example of the weapon which is bugged for you (name of the weapon, material)

Just a basic setup you use: Operating system, Graphics card

I hope we will be able to move from that point somewhere - maybe with the help of other members of the community as well ;)

pango

Post by pango »

If I open those files in The Gimp and decompose them in RGBA channels, the alpha channel looks actually clean
alpha.png
alpha.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
But color channels are not zeroed in transparent areas. To give the green channel as an example (other colors have similar patterns):
green.png
green.png (45.69 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
magic-green.png
magic-green.png (48.71 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
I'm not sure the patterns match and this is the root issue, but that's the kind of things I was talking about.
Could be interesting to try to clean those images and see if it makes a difference in game...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

PREFIX: "Solved" at the end

Thanks for the analysis Pango.
I was able to split the colors the way u did and I saw the same thing.

So I went thru other images:
NPCs - 2 Npcs Ive tried were clean, with black background where the alpha is.

paperdoll weapons - they are messy when split. And dont have these issues ingame (but indeed they are in the inventory and not placed about the 3d scene like handheld)

MOBs
- clean.

Commoners were not so clean, but not as messed up as 1st person handheld.

Than I tried my horse, its completelly messed up when split, and looks ok ingame TO ME. And thats technically a hand held..

The 1st person handheld based on Megaten work (which I built upon) are different when split and thats a fact, good catch on that. The weapons I created on my own like staff or bows are clean. BUT speaking of bows, there is a report with a bow, image in the OP - so I split the bow and its - CLEAN :lol:

This leads me to the direction of thinking, this might not be the root case after all... because the frames of bugged bow displayed in the OP are clean when split, Im sure about it. Those are the still frames - when u just hold the weapon in your hand. Thats why it was reported to me, because the user uses bows a lot, and noticed this when equipping the weapon... and for him, once seen, cannot be unseen and became very distracting..

EDIT: Was able to replicate the bow bug, thats good! And with some tunning of reshade to brightnen up the scene, I can now see the bugs on swords, when u swing it, it creates lines across the whole screen :X Damn

EDIT 2: "solved"

So I tried changing some stuff around in inspector, texture wrap did nothing, but when I switched texture compression quality from very high (BC7) back to normal (DXT5) the lines on the bow dissappeared :o

And I guess "thats it" because what else can I do?