Cannot find my Mod in DFU

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Daniel87

Cannot find my Mod in DFU

Post by Daniel87 »

Hi everyone,

I create this thread, as I am at my wits end here.
I run DFU 0.11.3 on Linux.
When building my mod, I get no error messages but am unable to find my mod ingame.
When running DFU in the Unity Editor, I can find it and it works without problems.
Having a proper error message would help me debug the issue, but I don't get any. The mod just builds fine.

I tried already building for every kind of OS, I tried to exclude shader, texture and prefab files to no avail.
Other users have reported that they can actually see the mod, when they build it, both on Linux and Windows.
So I am absolutely clueless why I can't even see the mod in the mod list ingame.

This is my mod in its current version: GitHub.
Please let me know if you can build and run the mod. (Hazelnut told me that the mod crashes when activating Fireflies and Shooting stars in the mod settings, so you can try both, with or without them).

Thank you for any help you can give me!
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Re: Cannot find my Mod in DFU

Post by l3lessed »

Did you check the player output log in the user mount app data area? This will dump errors the engine encounters with your mod in the actual game.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:47 am Did you check the player output log in the user mount app data area? This will dump errors the engine encounters with your mod in the actual game.
Not yet but will do this, thank you for the hint!
I just created an empty test mod and even that one I couldn't find in the game. Guess the problem is with my Unity3D editor? (also constantly getting stuck and x server errors, which makes working with it quite laggy and annoying. I guess I will have to reinstall the Editor. But do you know where I can find the exact needed Editor version for DFU (2019.4.10f) ? I only 4.14f in the archive from Unity3D.
In Julianos we Trust.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I use unity hub and then use their installer options. They have a hub where you can setup individual unity editor projects and select version builds and more specific things. In the hub install area, you can select the install version you want, and install it for your specific project.

I still have old unity from 10.23 DFU installed for accessing the original combat overhaul project.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

What do you mean by not being able to see the mod? That it does not appear in the mod list of the DFU launcher?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Definitely check the Player.log to see if the mod system is finding it but not loading for some reason. I assumed you'd already have checked it so didn't think to suggest it sorry.

One other thing to check is that you're definitely moving the dfmod from the build location into Streaming Assets/Mods/ folder of the DFU version you're running. I had a team at work point out that a change I'd made didn't exist... only for me to find out I'd changed the wrong file, same name but wrong location.

After that, post your built .dfmod here and we can see if anyone else can see it or figure out what might be wrong.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Ralzar wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:45 am What do you mean by not being able to see the mod? That it does not appear in the mod list of the DFU launcher?
Yes, It does not appear in the mod list when I start the game. Only when I run it through the editor.
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:55 am Definitely check the Player.log to see if the mod system is finding it but not loading for some reason. I assumed you'd already have checked it so didn't think to suggest it sorry.

One other thing to check is that you're definitely moving the dfmod from the build location into Streaming Assets/Mods/ folder of the DFU version you're running. I had a team at work point out that a change I'd made didn't exist... only for me to find out I'd changed the wrong file, same name but wrong location.

After that, post your built .dfmod here and we can see if anyone else can see it or figure out what might be wrong.
Thanks for the input! I'll do iit first thing tomorrow and post my dfmod file here.
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:55 am Definitely check the Player.log to see if the mod system is finding it but not loading for some reason. I assumed you'd already have checked it so didn't think to suggest it sorry.
What I've tried:
  • Different Unity Editor versions
  • Relocating the Unity Project to a path without spaces in the name
  • Creating a empty test mod
Test Build
Please let me know if you can see them in the Game and if they load successfully.

Editor.log and Player.log when trying to build the dfmod file and when running the game and not finding it.

It seems that Unity cannot read the dfmod file header. Any idea where the root problem might be hidden?
Error in the Player.log:

Code: Select all

Unable to read header from archive file: /mnt/wwn-0x50014ee1aae6e930-part1/Games/Daggerfall Unity Linux/DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/wilderness overhaul.dfmod 
(Filename:  Line: 74)
Last edited by Daniel87 on Sun May 23, 2021 8:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
In Julianos we Trust.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I get the same error when I try the dfmod's you built, but not when I use the dfmod I built on my windows pc using unity 2019.4.10f1.

Opening the dfmod in an editor I can see that you built them using unity 2019.4.21f1 which is not the current version DFU is on. I would suggest trying the exact unity version, although you may need to use unity hub to install - I can't find a direct link for that version on Linux. Pango did though: https://download.unity3d.com/download_u ... 019.4.10f1

I have no idea why a minor version difference would break the dfmod building, but I know that people do run into issues unless they use the exact same unity version.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods