Modding Tutorials: World Data Overrides - discussions

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
carademono

Re: Modding Tutorials: World Data Overrides

Post by carademono »

After reading through this, I have a hypothetical question. The JSON files you get from dumping locations don't seem entirely different from point GeoJSON files that GIS programs use. What, hypothetically, would prevent someone from dumping all of the games location data, developing a simple Python plug-in to reshape the data into GeoJSON or simple CSV files that QGIS could import, and then projecting all of Daggerfall's locations onto a high resolution height map of the Iliac Bay? And then you could use QGIS' algorithmic tools to place new points close to specific location types (say, placing farmland around cities), and then export the new location data back into DF Unity JSONs... Which could then be put in the StreamingAssets/WorldData directory...

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Depends what you want to place and where really. Ground tiles are restricted to the area a block covers, but 3d models and flats can be outside since they have 3d coords. You might want to check out BadLuckBurts tools on his github too.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

carademono

Post by carademono »

Thanks for your answer, Hazel! I think I understand this... If I wanted to use this method to add farmland, for example, I could only change the ground textures in a single 8x8 block location per map pixel. But I could place 3d models and flats anywhere. Is this correct?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yes I think that's correct. Though having 8x8 block location of tiles covers an entire map pixel, so large farms are doable I think - in theory.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods