Seeking a partner in a modding project.

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Simaris-Starson

Seeking a partner in a modding project.

Post by Simaris-Starson »

Hello all. I am an artist that would has an idea for different high quality sprites and models for a daggerfall mod. I love daggerfall a lot but I am natively a unreal developer and unity is foreign to me and I am more comfortable with art. I am looking for someone who would be willing to setup the different sprites and things in the actual mod. So what I mean is I make the sprites and things and all you would need to do make the actual code part of the mod, replacing textures, sprites etc. I plan on this being a expansive and ongoing project. If anyone is interested please let me know. My discord is: Simaris-starson#6841

l3lessed

Re: Seeking a partner in a modding project.

Post by l3lessed »

What are you looking to do? Can you provide a little more information? How big is this mod going to be? What is the focus of it? Is there an expected time table for development?

I can c# code, and I may be able to assist in places. But, I also have a number of my own mods and projects, so more information would be helpful.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Simaris-Starson

Post by Simaris-Starson »

I am looking to eventually replace all sprites, billboards or whatever you call them and all the textures with new ones. My aim is for a more colorful and varied color palate for the sprites as well as giving them a smoother more modern look. I also want to include smoother animations for the sprites but that would require more frames per animation and I am not sure if that is possible. The sprites are going to be 3d models rendered into flat sprites because I personally like that look. My goal was to at first stick faithfully to the vibe and artstyle of daggerfall but maybe in the future once I get more comfortable with it to make different sprite/ texture replacers. Here is a example of the artstyle: this is a link to a google doc cause I couldn't figure out how to link the photos here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YOl ... sp=sharing
So with all that being said I need and want someone that can help with the backend side of things like getting the dfmod put together. Because I want to be able to focus on my art. I likely would take a while to get new sprites added or even enough sprites to put into a mod since I am doing this in my spare time. So that is my project vision and why I want and need a partner. Thanks for hearing me out and be sure to check the link to the google doc.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

As I suggested on discord, I think you should make a start using loose files in StreamingAssets/Textures following the modding documentation for asset replacement. Then once you have a bunch of assets ready, let us know on discord and we'll show you how to package into a dfmod. An ideal way to start is to export an image from Daggerfall Imaging 2 and make a few changes to it (I often just scribble on mine) renaming it appropriately and putting it in the correct place in StreamingAssets. Check it appears in game. Different image types have different naming conventions, and some require xml files for metadata depending on whether you're changing resolution etc.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Agreed with Hazel; this doesn't appear to really need heavy coding or coder assistance. You should largely be able to do this with everything the devs have already built and provided.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.