Arena Unity mod... Is it possible?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
John Mathston

Arena Unity mod... Is it possible?

Post by John Mathston »

I have been listening to a Arena soundtrack remake and it gave me a idea

Making Arena in Daggerfall unity

All that needs to be done is to figure out how to have music during charactor creation

Change the heightmap to a Tamriel heightmap (Map size can be the same 161,600 KM is enough) and change the regions shape size vegetation and textures

Figure out how to remove all the citys to make new ones (Every city in the daggerfall area could just be moved)

Make new mobs if thats possible

make new quests and replace the main quest

and a bunch of artwork and modeling

its a heck ton of work I know, all I want to know is it possible? and if so what would have to be changed

The point of this post is to start conversation and to see your guys input on the idea. Im not much of a modder but If its possible with how the game is now, Ill give a good try at creating it

Ralzar

Re: Arena Unity mod... Is it possible?

Post by Ralzar »

Isn't someone working on that? I have not looked into it, so not sure if they are doing it in Unity though.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

pango

Post by pango »

That's not exactly the same thing, first OpenTES Arena doesn't use Unity (or a game engine in general), it's plain C++ using SDL2 if I remember correctly.

And secondly, John's idea is not to use Unity, but to use Daggerfall Unity as a game engine, replacing assets, adapting mechanics. That's a legitimate question, given how many port-X-inside-Y projects exist around the Elder Scrolls series.

That said, I have no idea how much different the two games are (technically and mechanically) and how much work that would save and what would be the benefits compared to a reimplementation from scratch. I suspect very few people can really tell.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

IMO the two games are very, very different. That's why an original implementation suits better than using DFU as a base.

For example, Arena's worldspace is randomly generated as you move, and is infinite. It's impossible to move from one place to another by walking; fast travel is the only option. Dungeons are created by the world as you move on foot, as are taverns and small villages.

The dungeons are completely different, being uniplanar and having the possibility to knock down/pass through walls with spells. Water has no depth anywhere.

The classes are also totally different between TES1 and TES2. It would take a full rewrite of the class system to implement the various differences among them.

The only things I see with some degree of similarity are the quests and the enemies, and even those similarities are pretty limited.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah... that seems like a much less viable idea than I expected it to be. Not that it's impossible, but it is a much less solid foundation to base it on than what DFU started with.

John Mathston

Post by John Mathston »

Im thinking more of a reimagining of Arena.

Mixing the gameplay of Daggerfall and the world and quests of Arena into one.

With a bunch of creative liberty put into it aswell

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Arena is even quirkier than Daggerfall in the way it is coded. I don’t think it’s suited for a unity port. Aaron’s approach makes sense.

What John is describing sounds like a total conversion mod to enjoy aspects of Arena within this damn near complete port of DF. To which I say, go for it! But it will be a very large undertaking.

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Looking good. 0.15 should have an actual playable dungeon. Get hype

Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

What does Arena offer that Daggerfall lacks? Could that stuff be made into a mod for Daggerfall or is that just too much for a mod? Sorry for for popping up in random threads asking questions - I'm just getting to know the Elder Scrolls games.