Very Basic Mod Questions

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Osorkon

Very Basic Mod Questions

Post by Osorkon »

I'm trying to learn how to begin modding, but I have zero programming experience or C# knowledge, so I'm way out of my depth. I looked around on the forums for cut-and-paste easy mod templates to follow but if they exist, I missed them. I think the discussions assumed some prior knowledge I don't have.

I'm starting very small and wanted to change zombie stats and how fast language skills level. I looked at other mods for examples and cobbled together this (most likely broken) monstrosity. I did copy a paragraph from Ralzar's Meaner Monsters - this mod is for personal learning use only, I won't publish it. Would this even work?
Attachments
lean mod.zip
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

l3lessed

Re: Very Basic Mod Questions

Post by l3lessed »

I can't even open the rar. It gives me an error.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Yeah I managed to zip it up wrong. I renamed the file to a .zip rather than creating a new zipped folder and moving it in then. I learned something today!
Attachments
mod.zip
(848 Bytes) Downloaded 74 times

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

No, you're only setting up the static variable arrays. This is the easy part. This merely stores the new values you want for these enemies and skills. However, you haven't created the code to tell the game engine to use the new variables by hooking and injected it into DFU.

The next part is learning how to inject your changes into the DFU engine so they override the default values.

I recommend continuing to learn off meaner monsters to see how he actually injects these new monster stats.

There is a mod, can't remember the name, the affects skills also. Again, look into the coding that those types of mods to see how they inject in their new skill propreties.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Osorkon

Post by Osorkon »

Gotcha, I figured there was no way I was doing it right on the first try. Thanks l3lessed - I will continue reading through others' mods. I appreciate your time!