Having trouble adding creating a new book

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
bearhead

Having trouble adding creating a new book

Post by bearhead »

I'd like to create a mod that adds a new book that briefly describes all the default spells and item enchantments (I can never remember what certain spells/enchantments do, and I get tired of alt-tabing-ing out of Daggerfall fall to look it up on USEP).

The book I created is appearing in the Mages guild library (not sure about stores - I haven't tried to look for it yet), but when I click to read the book, the text isn't displaying (or the text from the last book I opened is displayed, instead of the text I wrote).

I'm pretty sure I have the directories set up correctly (I'm currently just trying to add it with the loose files method). The json file to declare the book is:

Code: Select all

[{
	"Name": "ATreatiseOnSpells.TXT",
	"Title": "A Treatise on Spells",
	"ID": 798760894
}]
Do "IsUnique" and "WhenVarSet" also need to be added? If so would I do something like the following for them?

"IsUnique": false
""WhenVarSet": null
Thanks for any help you can offer!

haloterm

Re: Having trouble adding creating a new book

Post by haloterm »

Your json file looks good and that also shows because the book appears in the game.

IsUnique and WhenVarSet are not needed if you don't need them.

I suspect your book file itself is somehow the problem. You created it with DFBOOEDT?

If you can attach it, I can have a look.

bearhead

Post by bearhead »

Yeah I'm sure you're right about the .txt file not being set up correctly... I didn't realize there was a program designed for that purpose - I guess I didn't read the guide closely enough ;)
I attached the .txt file I have been trying to use - note that it is currently just a test, not the final text I actually want to use. I just copied the text from an existing book: "The Wild Elves", and changed the title and author as a starting point.

EDIT:
ok I downloaded the book editor and created a new test book with it (I updated the attached file).
Still having issues though - The title of the book is ok, but the rest of the text isn't being displayed. I took a look at one of the existing books and tried to copy its formatting... I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what?
Attachments
ATreatiseOnSpells.zip
(235 Bytes) Downloaded 47 times

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Yes, the book editor is needed. Despite the ending, these are not normal .txt files.
bearhead wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:45 am ok I downloaded the book editor and created a new test book with it (I updated the attached file).
Still having issues though - The title of the book is ok, but the rest of the text isn't being displayed. I took a look at one of the existing books and tried to copy its formatting... I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what?
From the codes, it looks okay, but maybe try to avoid unnecessary empty lines at the beginning, but add one before the last <0xF6> at the end of the page.

<0xF9=2>

<0xFD>
A Treatise on Spells

<0xF9=4>
 Test Text.

<0xF6)
On page two, simply start writing at the first line.

I do it this way in my books (in my Black Horse Courier mod) and it works.

bearhead

Post by bearhead »

ok so, I think the issue was that I was running DFBOOEDT in linux with wine - when I ran it natively on windows I was able to get my custom book working with the syntax you provided. Thanks for the help :)