Adding new armor/weapon sets

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
ckt1138

Adding new armor/weapon sets

Post by ckt1138 »

Complete newcomer to modding this particular game here.
Is it possible to add completely new armor sets or weapons to the game, with unique sprites?
I know it's possible to replace existing sprites for armor and weaponry, but could one expand the existing selection?

I only ask as I have not seen any mods designed to do so, and I was considering creating something along those lines.

l3lessed

Re: Adding new armor/weapon sets

Post by l3lessed »

Not that I'm aware of with weapons. You want to dig deep into the weaponManager and FPSWeapon script to see how the render and combat system work together.

When I implemented my hit arc, then animation smoothing system, then my rendering shield with blocking mechanics, I dug deep into this code. The weapon sprites are hard coded into the game with specific set alignment and custom dimension properties. This was a result of the limitations of when the game was made and being forced to cut the animations into 5 individual frames. As a result, it isn't as simple as adding a weapon. The weapon needs to have its sprite coded into a script the ensure proper rendering within the original engine, and there is no way I know of to do add in new weapons into these scripts set properties.

The only way I can think of off the top of my head is to completely rebuild the render system from ground up to allow the addition of unique weapons with sprites.

If you want to possibly work with my ambidexterity mod, where I have already done this, you could import custom weapon sprites and setup custom weapon states to work with it.

As for armor, this I'm unsure of. I have littler work in this area. I do know you can create new armor using the item template, as I did this to create a custom shield. However, I do not know if you can modify its textures or how much of its stats can be changed.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

polarstar

Post by polarstar »

The Roleplay&Realism items mod adds new armor and new weapons to the game with unique sprites so it is possible.

ckt1138

Post by ckt1138 »

Thanks for the tips!
As far as the first person weapon sprites, I presumed they were pretty locked in, so that's unsurprising. Although knowing that new paperdoll elements can be created means that my intentions seem possible. Good to know!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

The Roleplay&Realism items mod adds new armor and new weapons to the game with unique sprites so it is possible.
It is not creating new First Person Sprites; it reuses the default ones for the added weapons. It does create new inventory sprites though.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

polarstar

Post by polarstar »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:06 am It is not creating new First Person Sprites; it reuses the default ones for the added weapons. It does create new inventory sprites though.
Yes, that is correct

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi, I added new armour and weapons in the mod as others mentioned. You do have to use the existing first person weapons as also mentioned. Weapons are easier to add than armor is because there are less issues with body shape and positioning on the paperdoll. If you explain what you have in mind I'll drop any hints or gotchas I can think of, but you should be able to look at how my mod code works for an example.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods