Discussion on armor

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
ironmaskofhell
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by ironmaskofhell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 am

Again I like your idea :) , but can padded armor be stronger than leather and fur please. I'm tried of gambeson/padded armor being the weakest armor or weakest light armor in rpg games. This is one thing I like about the witcher is that padded armor can be some of the stronger armor in the game. Realistically padded armor is stronger than leather. Watch video for more information on padded and leather armor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODS7ksbBRuE

User avatar
NikitaTheTanner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by NikitaTheTanner » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:40 am

ironmaskofhell wrote:Inspirational pictures, to get a better idea of what I think armor should look like. Not to 100% copy.
I actually really liked the idea of fluted armor as a Steel set, might be very interesting.
Image

Others - we can definitely get some inspiration from them as well, they are neat, but I would prefer to avoid having ten more Plate armor sets, as much as I like them myself, we do need more variety, I think.

User avatar
NikitaTheTanner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by NikitaTheTanner » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 am

ironmaskofhell wrote:Again I like your idea :) , but can padded armor be stronger than leather and fur please. I'm tried of gambeson/padded armor being the weakest armor or weakest light armor in rpg games. This is one thing I like about the witcher is that padded armor can be some of the stronger armor in the game. Realistically padded armor is stronger than leather. Watch video for more information on padded and leather armor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODS7ksbBRuE
Yes, I know, it annoys me too. But I tried to sort armors by their price and I do believe that gambesons and aketons would be cheaper/more common than leather or fur. Fur armor wouldn't provide much more protection, it's main trick is to give extra protection from cold.

Leather armor is a tough one. It would probably be worse in every way, but I couldn't write that it will just make you look extra cool for a bigger price, could I? :lol: The difference in armor rating will not be very significant anyway, light armors are pretty much minimum protection ones. At least these three armors will have comparable stats, but some would be better in some way.

ironmaskofhell
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by ironmaskofhell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Some inspirational pictures based on your armor idea. Just like my previous one, they are just ideas, not to 100% copy.

Leather Armor: I was thinking that maybe the leather armor set can have a gambeson under the leather armor. Like how how solder's would have chainmail over gambeson.

Image

Lamellar Armor: Your picture looked too Mongolian, so here's some pictures of Byzantine lamellar armor, they look like an imperial and red guard at the same time, then again they are made by the eastern roman empire.

Image
Image
Last edited by ironmaskofhell on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironmaskofhell
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by ironmaskofhell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Dawrven: New inspirational picture for Dwarven armor.
Image

User avatar
NikitaTheTanner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by NikitaTheTanner » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:40 pm

ironmaskofhell wrote:Some inspirational pictures based on your armor idea. Just like my previous one, they are just ideas, not to 100% copy.
Leather Armor: I was thinking that maybe the leather armor set can have a gambeson under the leather armor. Like how how solder's would have chainmail over gambeson.
That's possible and I thought about it as well. Simply leather, even thick boiled leather, can be easily damaged or worn off in certain parts. For example, boots often have padding under leather in real life and it makes them more sturdy. I've had leather boots with no padding and they break after a year, approximately, even if the leather is very thick.

But remember that this set is most likely to be used primarily by rogue/thief/assassin type characters, not Medieval infantry, so it shoud look shady and edgy :) Like - I am the bad boy here! 8-) At least some padding wouldn't harm, I agree.
ironmaskofhell wrote: Lamellar Armor: Your picture looked too Mongolian, so here's some pictures of Byzantine lamellar armor, they look like an imperial and red guard at the same time, then again they are made by the eastern roman empire.
I am thinking about something slightly more Middle-eastern, even though they are similar. Mongolian isn't perfect though, I agree.

Image
ironmaskofhell wrote: Orcish Armor: I like the Skywind concept armor. The Mongolian inspired armor fits the orcs much better then the samurai inspired armor in Morrowind. Here some pictures of Mongolian armor.
Yep, plus it shifts armor from Plate to Composite and that's what I wanted the most.

ironmaskofhell
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by ironmaskofhell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 pm

I also appreciate that you are trying to make more middle eastern inspired armor. 50% of the game world of daggerfall takes in place in hammerfell (A middle-eastern inspired culture) yet 95% of the game's swords and armor looks european.
Last edited by ironmaskofhell on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironmaskofhell
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by ironmaskofhell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Inspirational Ebony picture:
Image

I think it would look cool if we added something to the helmet, like wings or something else.

User avatar
NikitaTheTanner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by NikitaTheTanner » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:37 am

I really like the image you found and the wings, they certainly can be incorporated into the helmet design.

I am also thinking about additional decorations, could have details similar to this piece, after all it's the second best armor in the game:

Image

User avatar
VMblast
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion on armor

Post by VMblast » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:34 am

Image

Post Reply