Using SLADE to Palette-ize Daggerfall Unity images

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Re: Using SLADE to Palette-ize Daggerfall Unity images

Post by Hazelnut »

I'm going to pin this, so it doesn't keep getting lost. It's far too useful to allow that to happen.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Not sure if this is going to be useful, but here's a few programmes that can do the same functions of palettising images:
  • Image Analyzer -- generally good at palettising with very accurate colour matches, but cannot apply dithering*. Palettes must be saved as JASC and imported into a hi/truecolor image to palettise.
  • mtPaint -- slightly less accurate colour matches but offers a variety of dithering options. Palettes can be loaded directly from images
  • GrafX2 -- palette editing with the option to copy colour ranges, for palette swap/remap.
*Note: Image Analyser can convert images to 256 or less colours with several dithering methods, but this only if it builds a custom palette based on the colours found in the input image. I have found no way to apply dithering when palettising using a preset, imported palette.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

No idea if this might be useful to anyone, but figured this was a good place to put this resource I just made.

Made what I believe is the Daggerfall "default" color palette using GIMP 2 and exported the palette into multiple supposedly importable formats for easier importing into various image editing software and such.

Here is the main file with various included importable palette formats:
Daggerfall Palette Importable.rar
Importable DF Palette
(11.17 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Here is little preview of what it looks like in GIMP's palette editor tab:
Palette Preview
Palette Preview
Daggerfall-Palette_Preview.PNG (8.42 KiB) Viewed 3859 times