Daggerfall Imaging 2 Crash/Unhandled Exception

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
nekomaster

Daggerfall Imaging 2 Crash/Unhandled Exception

Post by nekomaster »

So I decided to try picking up Daggerfall again and maybe even messing around with Daggerfall Unity and editing the Khajiits to look a little better.

I was able to do a few touch ups with DAGPICG but the scrolling doesnt work in DOSBOX so I can't use DAGPICG.EXE for larger images.
I tried exporting the images as PCX files to edit with GIMP 2 but when I save and import the PCX images the picture in game is off (for example it'll look like the face/head is floating on the left side of the screen leaving a headless body)

So I tried getting Daggerfall Imaging 2 and while it'll load up texture files it throws me unhandled exceptions everytime I try to open stuff like CIF and IMG files.

I'm running Windows 10 x64 (on a AMD Quad-Core CPU with 8GB of RAM).
I tried putting DAGGERFALL IMAGING 2 into C:\DAGGERFAULL IMAGING 2 and I even tried having the DAGGERFALL folder (with the arena2 folder inside) on my C:\ but that didn't help either.

I have no idea whats causing these unhandled exceptions.

Code: Select all

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Manina.Windows.Forms.ImageListView.ImageListViewItemCollection.AddInternal(ImageListViewItem item)
   at Manina.Windows.Forms.ImageListView.ImageListViewItemCollection.AddRange(ImageListViewItem[] items)
   at DaggerfallImaging2.MainForm.LibraryThumbnails_RunWorkerComplete(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg)

I just want a way to open and edit pictures or at least export images to edit them with GIMP or Paint.NET and be able to import them without them loosing their position.
The same nekomaster you can find almost everywhere (deviantART, Discord, Transport Tycoon Forums, etc)

Nystul

Re: Daggerfall Imaging 2 Crash/Unhandled Exception

Post by Nystul »

try installing Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... x?id=15163

nekomaster

Post by nekomaster »

Nystul wrote:try installing Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 3.1
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... x?id=15163
That didn't work

I still get the same error.

Maybe it'll help a bit if I post the entire error message here.

Code: Select all

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Manina.Windows.Forms.ImageListView.ImageListViewItemCollection.AddInternal(ImageListViewItem item)
   at Manina.Windows.Forms.ImageListView.ImageListViewItemCollection.AddRange(ImageListViewItem[] items)
   at DaggerfallImaging2.MainForm.LibraryThumbnails_RunWorkerComplete(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8794 (WinRelRS2.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DaggerfallImaging2
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DAGGERFALL%20IMAGING%202/DaggerfallImaging2.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8784 (WinRel.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8800 (WinRelRS2.050727-8800)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
DaggerfallConnect
    Assembly Version: 0.4.7.0
    Win32 Version: 0.4.7.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DAGGERFALL%20IMAGING%202/DaggerfallConnect.DLL
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
ImageListView
    Assembly Version: 6.7.0.0
    Win32 Version: 6.7.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DAGGERFALL%20IMAGING%202/ImageListView.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
The same nekomaster you can find almost everywhere (deviantART, Discord, Transport Tycoon Forums, etc)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey nekomaster, welcome to the forums. :)

No need for XNA 3.1 with Daggerfall Imaging 2, that's only required for Daggerfall Modelling.

DF Imaging 2 usually runs OK in Windows 10. The crash you're experiencing is while it's trying to build preview thumbnails.

Since the application is launching OK and only crashing when opening certain image types, my feeling is the data files themselves might not be in a good state.

If you could, first please download the "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" from Live Builds page. Unzip this and try pointing DF Imaging 2 to that /arena2 folder instead.

If that doesn't work, I would also suggest uninstalling DF Imaging 2 and manually removing its data folder. You will find this in "%appdata%\DaggerfallImaging2" which expands to a folder like "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\DaggerfallImaging2".

If you can delete the entire "DaggerfallImaging2" data folder and contents, then reinstall fresh and point to the known-good copy game files from "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip", that should work OK.

Let me know how you go. I have very few troubles with DF Imaging 2 as it's a fairly simple application. It is a very old application however (almost 10 years now) so also possible there's some issue running on your Windows 10 system I've not encountered before.

Good luck!

nekomaster

Post by nekomaster »

Interkarma wrote:Hey nekomaster, welcome to the forums. :)
Thanks, I've been poping in and out of the Daggerfall world and I'm interested to see where the Unity port is going to go.

I mostly wanted to get this stuff done for my own personal use (the quality of my 2d art is pretty crappy but its good enough for me)

I'll have to try out your fix later or tomorrow as I'm going to be drinking tonight (I dont like doing really technical stuff when drunk. Thankfully i got daggerfall in DOSBOX or unity to run in a quick and simple manner)