Importing (but not replacing) new sounds for mod development

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
jefetienne

Importing (but not replacing) new sounds for mod development

Post by jefetienne »

Hi all,

A while ago, I started a branch for a rudimentary NPC voice greeting mod that I was thinking of doing. It required the use of multiple clips of recorded voices. I tried sifting through the codebase to find a method that imports new sounds, but not for the purpose of replacing existing noises. I personally couldn't find any, so I instead wrote a method here.

I just wanted to confirm with everybody here that there isn't a way to import new sounds without the purpose of replacing existing sounds. If there isn't, I think it would be greatly beneficial for the modding community to add one, and I'd like to discuss what you think would be the best way to implement it. Currently, the method I wrote is in "SoundReplacement" so it doesn't exactly fit within that class. I'd like to propose making another class like "SoundImporter", or maybe just renaming the class.

I'm interested in making an ambiance mod that adds tavern, village, and town noises to make the environment feel more lively, and as far as I can tell, it currently doesn't seem possible from what I've gathered.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Interkarma

Re: Importing (but not replacing) new sounds for mod development

Post by Interkarma »

For additional ambient sounds, you could just create a custom ambient sound player to play whatever sounds you want bundled with your mod.

This could be in addition to current ambient sounds, or you could disable the core ambient effects player and just play your sounds instead.

There no method to add new sounds that the core game would be aware of. Even if the sounds are present, the core game has no reason to play them as it only knows about the classic assets. Mods can use custom sounds, but they need also decide when to play them.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Interkarma wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 am For additional ambient sounds, you could just create a custom ambient sound player to play whatever sounds you want bundled with your mod.
I've been so wrapped up with DFU as an engine that I forgot that Unity was also an engine :lol: I feel silly for making this, but thank you for letting me know.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Metzik

Post by Metzik »

I'm interested in making an ambiance mod that adds tavern, village, and town noises to make the environment feel more lively, and as far as I can tell, it currently doesn't seem possible from what I've gathered.
This sounds really cool Jefetienne. Any thoughts on adding sfx like footsteps, clothing/armor, working sounds (like the smith or the man with horse and cart) on npc's as well? It'd be cool if there where markets in towns and villages as well.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Metzik wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 pm Any thoughts on adding sfx like footsteps, clothing/armor, working sounds (like the smith or the man with horse and cart) on npc's as well?
Those sound pretty good! It all depends on what sounds I can find on the internet that are properly licensed for redistribution. I'll make a post on one of the modding forums at some point about it.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Thanks for asking this question. I started on a sound replacement mod. Working on the existing effects is great but there is certainly room for expansion! Nice to know it’s possible.

Metzik

Post by Metzik »

Thanks for asking this question. I started on a sound replacement mod. Working on the existing effects is great but there is certainly room for expansion! Nice to know it’s possible.
Actually Azteca, I was going to ask you about the status of your project as well :)