%reg likely not giving current region in all instances but rather give region related to specific context

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Nystul

%reg likely not giving current region in all instances but rather give region related to specific context

Post by Nystul »

%reg is currently implemented to return current region

I think this is behaving differently in vanilla, see an entry from text record 1480 from text.rsc:
The noble ruler, %ol1 %olf. Long live %fl1, newly made %lt1 of %reg.

which resolves in Daggerfall to something like
"The noble ruler, [a name for old ruler faction1] fell and struck his head. Long live [name of new ruler faction1], newly made [title of ruler] of [faction1 region]."
with faction1 being any random region without a fixed ruler (can be different than current region)...

I think only %crn should return current region

I would like to change %reg but need to know where it is used elsewhere (and who implemented %reg - was it just implemented that way because of lack of knowledge or was there a good reason for it?)

Interkarma

Re: %reg likely not giving current region in all instances but rather give region related to specific context

Post by Interkarma »

That's a good observation, and makes perfect sense in that context.

After having a search through the quest files, it does appear that %reg is used for current region in many cases.

Maybe that macro should expand equal to current region in quests and to a ruler-less region in generated rumours?

Nystul

Re: %reg likely not giving current region in all instances but rather give region related to specific context

Post by Nystul »

thats how I plan to implement it

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

The way it works in classic is that it's always the current region except for when the game is writing a rumor to RUMORS.DAT. When writing a rumor it's temporarily set to a specified region or to a random region, the rumor is written to the file, and then it's returned to the current region.
Last edited by R.D. on Sat May 26, 2018 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome thanks Allofich!