Daggerfall Unity VR with the Vive Pro

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
carademono

Re: Daggerfall Unity VR with the Vive Pro

Post by carademono »

I just got the Oculus Quest 2, and we need Daggerfall Unity VR! Come on, wonderful devs, you're our only hope!

socuciustarkus

Post by socuciustarkus »

carademono wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:56 pm I just got the Oculus Quest 2, and we need Daggerfall Unity VR! Come on, wonderful devs, you're our only hope!
Same bro, this seems sick. I'm willing to give out some cash money to devs

carademono

Post by carademono »

socuciustarkus wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:12 am
Same bro, this seems sick. I'm willing to give out some cash money to devs
CASH MONEY.

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

shram86 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:35 pm Hi all, and @agamer -

"Experienced" with Unity and VR dev (including android/oculus, yuk), I have a couple headsets, one an Odyssey Plus, and a Quest 2 on the way.

Briefly hopped in the Discord and found this was basically the only place anyone is discussing VR for DFU.

1. I'd like to help wherever help is needed. 10 years tech industry experience.
2. Should decentralize to a channel in the discord or make a separate page somewhere. This is a huge effort and should be considered as such!

Let me know.
Did anyone get back to you?
Would love for this to become a thing.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am trying to get a daggerfall style flail with chain physics to work in VR.
After a lot of fails (and flails) it is starting to get to a point where it is fun to play around with it.
The video recording of the vr monitor window made framerate less smooth than normally, also makes the chain glitch out on 2 occasions.

see this video:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nice work! That was fun to watch.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Seeing how the Quest 2 is by far the most popular VR, I think a port of Daggerfall Unity to the Quest 2 would be incredible. Is anyone working on that? Procedural worlds work better in VR due to the immersive nature. Skyrim VR was cool but the world constantly screaming “look, I’m a unique area” became pretty insulting in VR and made me wish the world was less condensed. Daggerfall’s philosophy of a realistically scaled world translates way better to VR then modern RPGs that are super tiny and feel there has to be something handcrafted every ten feet even if you’re in the wilderness

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Further, if someone were to make an open world game in VR they should make it like Daggerfall with procedural generation and a realistic scale because in VR a forest doesn’t need to have a bunch of random things in it like Skyrim to be immersive, it can just be an actual forest. After playing Skyrim VR Skyrim’s world became almost insulting in how it constantly throws hand crafted things at you like a theme park and the world is shockingly condensed and bums you out because you want to just explore the woods but they’re super tiny and right next to multiple towns

Daggerfall however is truly big. Absolutely insane how Daggerfall’s world translates better to VR because it relies on the scope and scale rather then being like a theme park. So ahead of it’s time that it’s still ahead of current gaming