Daggerfall Unity VR with the Vive Pro

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
InconsolableCellist

Re: Daggerfall Unity VR with the Vive Pro

Post by InconsolableCellist »

Sweet! I worked a little on it today, mostly taking what I learned and redoing it in a way that can be injected by a mod. I've made a VRInjector script that sticks in a bunch of prefabs. My understanding is I can take the numerous requires scripts and assets I need for VR, stick them in a mod, and then at runtime execute my injector and load all the prefabs in, and make the required changes to the existing GameObjects.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, you can build all of your script behaviours and other custom assets into a single mod package.

The modding page should help you get started. Hit up some of the more experienced guys (Nystul/Hazelnut/The_Lacus/Uncanny_Valley) if you need a hand with anything. I've only played with the mod packager, I've never had time to build anything more serious with it.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... y/modding/

InconsolableCellist

Things are injecting good enough at the moment to satisfy me. I think I'm ready to start adding more UI elements, and I have some placeholders in now. I've got some neat things planned, like an under-controller UI that pops up when you rotate the bottom of the controller towards you (useful as both a game menu and storing some quickly retrievable items), and being able to reach out and grab UI windows to position them in your field of view. I think it'd be neat to have UI windows be modular, so you can grab an arbitrary window and position it where you want it, like your journal for example. However, I suspect there's game logic that didn't plan for this, like pausing the game when the UI is open, and not taking into account having multiple UI elements open at the same time?.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, definitely not designed that way. The whole classic UI run as a single stack with HUD always open and other windows popping onto or off the stack. I'd like to keep the classic UI completely intact.

However, it might be possible to support splitting out individual windows at some point once I'm able to do more work on the render target component to each support their own UI stack.

I'm sorry, I'm eyes-deep into bug fixing some quest stuff at the moment and don't have much capacity for anything else.

InconsolableCellist

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:38 am I'm sorry, I'm eyes-deep into bug fixing some quest stuff at the moment and don't have much capacity for anything else.
Ah gotcha, no problem

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Transparency now looks much stronger than before, should i manually change colors?

Spoiler!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The short answer is that alpha isn't additive with GUI.DrawTexture() to an offscreen RenderTexture. I'll need to rework the drawing methods to support this again.

In the meantime best solution is just to remove the alpha for those panel.

InconsolableCellist

Damn my feature requests are introducing regressions :(

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Don't query about it. I'm happy to have this change, I just couldn't get to everything in a single pass. Have so much to do. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Today, I'm going to work more on the multi UI stack setup I started building the other day. Once we can actually have distinct UI stacks on different objects, we can look into the feasibility of allowing you to split out certain windows from the main UI stack without breaking anything else.