Daggerfall Unity VR with the Vive Pro

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity VR with the Vive Pro

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, just a mispelling. Only human and all that. I'll fix this up a bit later today when I can. :)

InconsolableCellist

Post by InconsolableCellist »

Still pretty good for being on a phone call at the time :P

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've posted some refinements to the branch. I'll update my outline post above with new information.

InconsolableCellist

Awesome! I have it loading now, but I'll pull down the latest changes.

There are 50 bugs with just having your head move around (clipping through walls, the mapping between real movement offsets and game offsets), but something interesting I didn't realize at first is that Unity supports Open VR by just checking a box, which is sufficient to have head tracking. It takes the main camera and overrides the transform with your head position automagically (maybe even too well--I don't know how to turn it off yet at runtime). You can even get hand controller inputs, but importing the SteamVR prefabs are better there, as they add models and really handy (no pun intended) scripts.

One noteworthy thing is that even with no changes to lighting and AA it looks great. Performance is also excellent, but I just built a beast of a gaming PC, so no surprise there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, it's an insane amount of work to bring even halfway decent VR into a game that wasn't designed for it from the start.

I've started working on compatibility with the startup UI and new render texture setup. Still have more to do here, but at least it doesn't crash right away.

My immediate goal is just to get the base game working with a flexible offscreen rendertexture for all UI elements. Then we can start looking at how to extend UI further for your specific VR needs.

InconsolableCellist wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:47 am One noteworthy thing is that even with no changes to lighting and AA it looks great. Performance is also excellent, but I just built a beast of a gaming PC, so no surprise there.
On the plus side, most VR users will have pretty beasty rigs. :)

InconsolableCellist

Hooray, it works! The UI elements can float there and I can position it however I want

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yay! :D

That's step one. I'll keep cleaning up the branch until I'm happy to merge this into master. Once I'm done there won't be any difference to users in pancake mode.

Then we can start adding more features so you can point and select stuff with the controller, use the scroll wheels, that kind of thing.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've been punching in fixes on and off all day. Nearly have this bashed into a satisfactory baseline for master.

I still need to resolve a problem with transition fades, and maybe take another pass at crosshair. I'll probably have a little cleaning up to do as well.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This turned into a much bigger job than I expected with lots of little follow-on things to fix. But I'm quite happy with the state of it and everything is in master.

The goal from my end was just to render the UI to an offscreen RenderTexture that can be used either for a traditional overlay like before or drawn to a diegetic output of some kind. Now we have that flexibility in base, and you can turn off the standard UI overlay at will and render UI wherever you like.

I think the next thing I'll add is the ability to feed in custom pointer coordinates so you can wire up to the motion controller "laser pointer". From a UI perspective is there something else you need me to address?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

This is truly impressive. I had always played with the idea to try out to port a simple dfunity demo to vr but all the points and issues you mentioned above have scared the hell out of me.
You guys do an amazing job here, you rock!