Outdoor swimming

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: Outdoor swimming

Post by Interkarma »

There's no console command for raising skills (probably not a bad idea), but you could edit the "savedata.txt" file and change the swimming skill to 100. It's just a plain text JSON file and should be easy to find the value.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Is there a convenient way to have an EnemyTileMapIndex to prevent enemies from swimming in water? Or determine if the enemy moving forward would put it in a water tile? This seems pretty complex.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's definitely possible, I'd just have to make this super-efficient. It would be fairly trivial in cities as they have a navgrid for this purpose. The wilderness needs full terrain checks like player however as enemies can spawn anywhere the player can be.

Out of curiosity, how does DF handle enemies and outdoor water? I haven't tested this and don't have any trusted memories of the behaviour.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Enemies in classic simply don't submerge outdoors. They all walk on outdoor water.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:15 am Enemies in classic simply don't submerge outdoors. They all walk on outdoor water.
That feels like a developer oversight.
We could have enemies sink down and move at swim speed like the player?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Wow. Dang, that's something entirely new to me. I suppose that's because they're stationary, which never happened to me in classic. Thanks Nystul.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you guys! I'll work in the ability for enemy motor to detect if they're on a water tile so that swimming can be built into their AI at some point.
Nystul wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm guards submerge...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Agh6-bgVsY
This is hilarious. :D Something I must do is try to kite some guards down to open water outside of a town to see if they do the same outside of location.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

There's a rare bug that I can't seem to get rid of easily. It happens when you are in outside water, and load a game where the save has you crouched. The bug makes you standing instead of crouched when you load the game because the height changing action taken whenever the controller is removed from water tile is to stand up from the water. I can tell it to crouch, but then it goes to stand up from the water anyway after that.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Interesting - I'm not sure on this one. The crouch status is being restored as part of loading a game. Perhaps the height changer needs to capture the onload event and update internal state based on the crouch state applied by the load process? Or possibly just clear some internal state when loading a game so everything is cleansed for the new character just loaded.