levitateMotor isn't colliding properly

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
MeteoricDragon

Re: levitateMotor isn't colliding properly

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Feralwarlord wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:53 am
R.D. wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 am I doubt it was intended to be that you can climb anything regardless of your skill. When I have time I'll probably make it so you can't restart climbing while falling or something like that, and I might be mistaken that classic lets you always succeed in climbing. I'll investigate it some more. But, we probably should first adjust DF Unity's fall damage before making it easier to fall while climbing. I haven't worked out how classic does fall damage yet, but DF Unity is a lot more severe about how much damage is done.
Perhaps having a falling penalty to the check could work as it makes sense for a character with a high climbing skill to be able to recover from a fall while one with a low skill cannot
A player with high skill having a greater chance of recovery does sound good. The skill-less mechanics will be the foundation to that.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just FYI, I'm about to put in Water Walking effect. This could cause conflicts for any pending changes in your branch related to levitate motor.

Since I'll be spending some time in the water anyway, I'll use this as an opportunity to take a fresh look at the climbing out of water problem. I'll use your notes in this thread and refer to code in that branch to see the solutions already in attempted.

I'll update you once I get there. I won't let myself get too bogged down though, magic & effects need to remain my core focus for now. :)

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:38 pm Just FYI, I'm about to put in Water Walking effect. This could cause conflicts for any pending changes in your branch related to levitate motor.

Since I'll be spending some time in the water anyway, I'll use this as an opportunity to take a fresh look at the climbing out of water problem. I'll use your notes in this thread and refer to code in that branch to see the solutions already in attempted.

I'll update you once I get there. I won't let myself get too bogged down though, magic & effects need to remain my core focus for now. :)
Ok, sounds good to me.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've made some fixes to LevitateMotor and ClimbingMotor in this commit.

I'll do more work on this soon. I believe it should be possible to resolve climbing out of water without any additional capsules or physics solution. The problem is generally how movement state transitions while climbing out of water breaking the climb process.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:25 am I've made some fixes to LevitateMotor and ClimbingMotor in this commit.

I'll do more work on this soon. I believe it should be possible to resolve climbing out of water without any additional capsules or physics solution. The problem is generally how movement state transitions while climbing out of water breaking the climb process.
I just saw this post after I submitted the PR. In the PR, The climb out of water itself doesn't use physics.CapsuleCast, but rather checks that the player's feet are out of the water before skill checks are allowed. To keep the MovementDirection towards the wall and enable the player to look around a little, it uses physics.CapsuleCast to get the normal of the wall it is climbing and produce a vector to go towards.

pango

Post by pango »

There's still some random issues with climbing in #131, while reaching the top of the wall of a tower ruin I've been sent a good distance away in the sky.
It's random though, took me around 9 tries in this video, so you can directly jump to around 2:12
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/307564583
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ha! That's a fun one. Thanks for report. :)

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

And I have no idea how that happened...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It looks like the landing attachment process was confused by the weirdly slanted geometry. Maybe some constraints needed (e.g. if vertical position greater than N units from current, then ignore found landing point).

At least we know where to reproduce, those tower ruins are fairly easy to find around the exterior of "ruins" styled dungeons.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Was this bug discovered with the build I made when i first implemented that slip and catch system?