Notebook implementation

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Nystul

Re: Notebook implementation

Post by Nystul »

nice idea!

two thoughts:
  • is it possible to copy single answers (or question pairs) from the talk window? or does it always copy the whole conversation? since answers in talk window are a list box (and selecting of answers is possible) it would be possible to just select a pair of question and answer - from what I see on the screenshot I would guess currently the whole conversation is copied - which can be a bit much sometimes...
  • it would be convenient to add the region and location the player took the note at in the title row, e.g.: "11:01:46 on Loredas, 07 of Midyear, 3E406, Daggerfall in province Daggerfall:" - otherwise it does not make too much sense if you got work directions but can't remember which town it was... the title will likely be too large for one line unfortunately for longer region, location names :(

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nice! Good to see this coming together so quickly.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nystul wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:29 am is it possible to copy single answers (or question pairs) from the talk window? or does it always copy the whole conversation? since answers in talk window are a list box (and selecting of answers is possible) it would be possible to just select a pair of question and answer - from what I see on the screenshot I would guess currently the whole conversation is copied - which can be a bit much sometimes...
From my post above: "You can select specific chunks of text from a conversation (that's where the blank lines come from.. there were other text chunks not copied, in this case repeated questions about employment) or select the whole conversation up to that point. It only copies when you exit the Talk window, so you can copy exactly what you want to!"

Is that not clear? it already does what you ask. You can toggle each text snippet to be copied or not, or select everything currently in the conversation.

Interesting suggestion about the location, I might add that and see if it works ok. I hope the longer names are not too bad, I have reduced the text size for the notebook so hope no one wants to use it in 320x200 resolution! :D
Jay_H wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:37 am One thing I would think cool (though I don't know how wieldy it would be) is to have a tab that records the quests you've accepted over time. It'd get pretty long eventually, but maybe it'd just have the first snippet of the acceptance log in the journal or something, accompanied by the date: a permanent record of your character's activities.
Do you mean the Finished Quests tab? Each quest as it ends (success or failure) is copied into here. You can re-order them or delete, so as just to keep what you want.

I swear people don't read what I write sometimes... maybe it was the big shiny picture I posted? :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:50 am I swear people don't read what I write sometimes... maybe it was the big shiny picture I posted? :lol:
I don't read what anyone writes! I've gotten better but I used to be a serious hair-puller on these forums :lol: (still thinking about my first "bug report" on a quest, where I did the thing Interkarma said exactly not to do and reported it as not working :P )

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So, next thing I've added is allowing player to click on an active quest and if it has a location set (i.e. town or dungeon) it pops up a dialog box asking if you want to open the travel map and prepare to travel to that place. I get very tired of having to memorise some of the place names long enough to switch to the travel map and type it into the find box. It doesn't work for coming back to hand in the quest, just for the quest destination.

Does anyone think this is too much streamlining and handholding?

I like the instant automatic region selection and the blinking crosshair showing it on the map, with the 'do you want to travel?' question popping up after a few seconds. Just want to check, I do still have an earlier version that simply populates the find box - you still have to select the correct region and press find, it just has the quest target location name already entered. Seemed lacklustre so I developed it further. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm So, next thing I've added is allowing player to click on an active quest and if it has a location set (i.e. town or dungeon) it pops up a dialog box asking if you want to open the travel map and prepare to travel to that place. I get very tired of having to memorise some of the place names long enough to switch to the travel map and type it into the find box. It doesn't work for coming back to hand in the quest, just for the quest destination.
Yes!
Hazelnut wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm Does anyone think this is too much streamlining and handholding?
Nah. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Could you keep a list of maps found also?
Currently all what's left of a map found is a pixel on the region map, that has always been a bit lacking...
Or maybe just a "I have found a map of X" in the journal...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

pango wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:50 pm Could you keep a list of maps found also?
Currently all what's left of a map found is a pixel on the region map, that has always been a bit lacking...
Or maybe just a "I have found a map of X" in the journal...
That's actually a great idea! It might be difficult in execution though, as currently the discovery system doesn't track which dungeons were revealed by quests, maps, or local discovery. But with an extra tag in the discovery data, it would become possible to track the how and where of dungeon discovery to help with this.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

That shouldn't be necessary. Just putting a note in the notebook at the point in time when a map is read, as Pango suggests, will be sufficient. The player can delete it later if they don't want to keep it. This wouldn't need to keep state, just like the finished quests all that's kept is the text for the entry.

I wasn't intending to have another tab for discovered maps, just add discover map entries to the notebook, but if there's a strong feeling that they deserve/belong in a separate section I will reconsider.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:40 am That shouldn't be necessary. Just putting a note in the notebook at the point in time when a map is read, as Pango suggests, will be sufficient. The player can delete it later if they don't want to keep it. This wouldn't need to keep state, just like the finished quests all that's kept is the text for the entry.
You don't get off that easy, I'm afraid. :)

Maps aren't just maps. Several quests also give the player a "map" reward which is just text followed by a reveal location action in quest script. If you wanted the feature to be comprehensive, you'd need to support those as well. And you need to differentiate between quest "map" rewards and target locations revealed by quests using the same action. That's what I'm talking about above.