Notebook implementation

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Re: Notebook implementation

Post by Hazelnut »

Mind giving me a few quest names that do that?

Or are you enjoying this too much? :lol:

EDIT: There's also 'maps' given by Thieves Guild on promotions. Mustn't forget those...
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

A lot of the Fighters Guild quests do it. A good example is M0B00Y16. The basic formula is quest pops up a message like "here's a map to dungeon bla" then reveals a random dungeon. There's no actual map item involved like you find on slain foes.

These ones really stick out for me needing this kind of feature. That popup is just too easily dismissed and if you don't write it down the information is practically lost. I even had a few people make bug reports early on about these quests not giving them a map. They didn't realise the quest popup text was the map.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ah, I see what you mean now... there's no distinction for quest reveal actions between uses for revealing places as part of quest and reading 'maps' as part of quest. I think maybe the easiest way to handle this is to extend the reveal action syntax to allow each place where you're being given a map / are reading a map in quests to indicate that.

e.g. MOB00Y16 would become:

Code: Select all

variable _qtime_
_duelist_ task:
	when _success_ and _map_ 
	reveal _newdung_ readmap
	say 1080 
The reveal action can then add an entry into the journal. Any unchanged reveals will not. The text indicator could alternatively be 'notebook' instead of 'readmap' or something else if you prefer.

Does this work for you? I am happy to change the action and update all the quests accordingly.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep that works for me! :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Cool, will do. One question is if there's any difference between an action with a "saying nnnn" at the end and an action followed by another action "say nnnn".

Need to know if reveal action needs a saying part implemented or if I can simply change the quest scripts to put say action on next line? There are 12 quests that use it this way. Several were already changed this way by Jay so I'm going to do this to all the ones I add readmap to.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I feel it should work almost identically either way, as long as "say nnnn" immediately follows. Try changing one of the quests to see how it plays both ways.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Seems to work just fine and saves having to make actions more complex.

Anyway have now submitted the PR for this. :D For when you get some time. It really snowballed, I originally thought it'd just be a few hours development... :roll:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great work! Looking forward to checking it out over the weekend.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:40 am That shouldn't be necessary. Just putting a note in the notebook at the point in time when a map is read, as Pango suggests, will be sufficient. The player can delete it later if they don't want to keep it. This wouldn't need to keep state, just like the finished quests all that's kept is the text for the entry.

I wasn't intending to have another tab for discovered maps, just add discover map entries to the notebook, but if there's a strong feeling that they deserve/belong in a separate section I will reconsider.
+100 for the separate found maps tab idea. I filled up an entire A4 page jotting them down before realizing that I wouldn't visit any of these places anyway. Later on I felt that writing them down so I knew how many I had discovered was the fulfilling part.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Helegad wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:19 am +100 for the separate found maps tab idea. I filled up an entire A4 page jotting them down before realizing that I wouldn't visit any of these places anyway. Later on I felt that writing them down so I knew how many I had discovered was the fulfilling part.
Sorry, one person, one vote. :D

See what you think of how it is with maps once the new build is out.