Light sources (in-game)

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Re: Light sources (in-game)

Post by Hazelnut »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:05 pm
- when any menu is open, player torch goes on behind the menu, I don't see the purpose so I assume this is a bug;
No, not a bug - no fuel is used as time is stopped.
Ah you mean even when you don't have one lit - didn't realise, anyway I've fixed that now.

Also took a stab at fixing the popup after load or new game issue, but is impossible to test the fix. Let me know if you see that happen again.

Currently all players can interact with all these previously inert objects, lighting torches etc - just doesn't have any effect unless the setting is switched on. I could disable the use actions if the setting is off, but I don't really feel it's necessary. I'm sure I'll be informed soon enough if that opinion is wrong. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:00 pm Ah you mean even when you don't have one lit - didn't realise, anyway I've fixed that now.
Sorry, bad wording on my part. Yes, it's fixed, thanks!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

In some circumstances, say while importing a game from classic Daggerfall with dark dungeons enabled, it would be great to have a "add light n" console command to get random light sources and oil...
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah I will add that, but players don't have to enable the light sources until they're ready to so I don't think it's a big deal.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Lantern can be refilled by Oil bottle (5gp, 0.25kg) and it takes 4 bottles to go from empty to full.
Wow, that's what... 1.5 litres of oil in the lantern? That is *one hell* of a lantern right there. Also known as the "not quite holy hand grenade of not-quite Antioch". Or at least a pretty big molotov cocktail. :lol:

Don't take me seriously, I absolutely *love* what you did here. When ambient light was announced I was all like "hell yeah, let's set this bugger all the way down, buy a bunch of torches and have some real dungeoneering". Only to realise that while ambient lighting worked as advertised, usable lightsources were not actually implemented...

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I based the numbers loosely on what DF classic had set for these items in templates with some adjustments to give the different sources some differences and use cases. The longer I think about games and their design (beginning in a rudimentary way when I first played a game on a richer mates' ZX spectrum at age 10... quarter of a century ago!) the more I realise that 'realism' is not a good aspiration for games. Contrary to many of my instincts and desires in past decades. Game mechanics should provide interesting choices and trade-offs, as well as an atmosphere of realism. For example, with these in game light sources it should provide the experience and feeling of having to prepare for each dungeon delve and the tension of whether you may run out of light in the dark dangerous depths... but without requiring management and busy work every 5 seconds. So, no real world research was done to ensure torches and lanterns etc are 'realistic'.

Glad you love it! :D

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:40 pm In some circumstances, say while importing a game from classic Daggerfall with dark dungeons enabled, it would be great to have a "add light n" console command to get random light sources and oil...
Added torch to items that can be added from console.

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:53 pm Added torch to items that can be added from console.
Thank you!
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

So, no real world research was done to ensure torches and lanterns etc are 'realistic'.
Don't worry about it, weights in daggerfall are completely out there in the first place. Sometimes I wonder if they estimated the weight of everything in pounds, and then somebody slapped a kilogram label on it. Most stuff would still be on the heavy side even if that was the case. So your oil guzzlers feel right at home. :lol:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Have made a QOL update so light sources can now be 'use'ed or 'equip'ed since it makes logical sense and means you don't need to switch the mode to use every darn time. (equip is usually the default mode) This is not for oil though, you cannot 'equip' a bottle of oil. (imagining pouring it over head and then running through the dungeon as a human torch... not really befitting a great hero of the Illiac Bay! :cry: )