Light sources (in-game)

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: Light sources (in-game)

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm (imagining pouring it over head and then running through the dungeon as a human torch... not really befitting a great hero of the Illiac Bay! :cry: )
:lol:

Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

Could there be a console setting to adjust the light sources duration? Like a Set_LightDuration where a value like 0.7 or 1.5 is used as a multiplier for the base duration? And maybe a Set_LightRange too? I often find that the range of light sources is just too short, given some rooms and corridors in Daggerfall...

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I'm extending the range of the light sources. I have no plans to create console commands for adjusting duration and ranges. Both aspects for each item are configured in the item templates config file. When the game is released I will post instructions for modifying these. Prior to release I would prefer that eveyone is testing the defaults and also not posting bugs because they don't have updates to the file due to copying over modified versions from previous builds.

Have updated the first post accordingly.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

Watching some stream I found some sort-of problematic case: when you're a werewolf you can't access your inventory, hence not use light sources.
The most creative workaround I've been thinking of is that as werewolf you get some amount of night vision :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Man, you're so dedicated pango. Thanks for finding all these cases we never would've thought of!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:54 pm Watching some stream I found some sort-of problematic case: when you're a werewolf you can't access your inventory, hence not use light sources.
The most creative workaround I've been thinking of is that as werewolf you get some amount of night vision :)
That's a really cool idea. Not sure that would even need to switch on/off with the torch enhancement.. but that's up to Interkarma to rule on. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I love the idea (with something similar for vampires) but I know people will push back unless they have some agency over it.

I enjoy night vision in games, but I also like to be able to switch it off and on. I hate the feeling of being stuck in a weird colour mode, or having to constantly reactivate the effect.

If I was implementing this for myself, I'd deliver through spell system. Cast once to enable, cast again to disable. Zero cost spell for vamp/were, lasts until disabled, no cooldowns, user has full control.

Whatever we use, it could be trialled using a mod before implemented into game in some way. That way we can get some feedback on it first.

pango

Post by pango »

I didn't specifically mean a videogame's classic "night vision" effect, even if that's a possibility. Not sure it fits Daggerfall theme too well.

What about some effect that enhances only the dark parts of display, a bit like HDR
I have no idea how to implement that though ;)
Closest existing effect could be eye adaptation
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

And there was me thinking it would just kick the ambient light level up a couple notches if player was were or vamp so scenes were less dark. lol

pango

Post by pango »

That's not too different from an eye adaptation effect: you also need to have some evaluation of current average lighting and compensate... It doesn't need to be more complex than that
-- Charles Goodhart