What version of C# is DFU using?

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
MeteoricDragon

What version of C# is DFU using?

Post by MeteoricDragon »

I tried using the Null-propogation operator
?.
in code and my editor said the project is using 4.0. I said to go ahead and upgrade to the latest version that uses that operator, but then realized DFU might not be using C#6. What can I do?

TheLacus

Re: What version of C# is DFU using?

Post by TheLacus »

We're on .NET 3.5, might upgrade to .NET 4 one day.

You can't use it right now, sorry.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:04 pm We're on .NET 3.5, might upgrade to .NET 4 one day.

No arguments here. I am finding that many versions past 3.5 just introduce new ways to do the same thing you could do with other code before.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

I am finding that many versions past 3.5 just introduce new ways to do the same thing you could do with other code before.
True, but they're ways that let you type a lot less and lead to clearer code. I was quite a bit bummed when I realised I couldn't use the null propagator a few weeks back. When you code all day every day, you really start to appreciate these conveniences...

hurleybird

Post by hurleybird »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:04 pm We're on .NET 3.5, might upgrade to .NET 4 one day.

Any particular issues with .NET 4.x that prevent its usage?

It's worth mentioning that in 2018.3 4.x is the new default and 3.5 is being deprecated (and will be removed entirely sometime in the 2019 cycle).

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

hurleybird wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Any particular issues with .NET 4.x that prevent its usage?

It's worth mentioning that in 2018.3 4.x is the new default and 3.5 is being deprecated (and will be removed entirely sometime in the 2019 cycle).
No issue that i'm aware of. Upgrading it now might be counterproductive since the game is almost out of prealpha, but i would like to eventually move to new version, too.
It's up to Interkarma to decide if and when. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's very likely we'll shift to .NET 4.x next year when taking on Unity 2019. We've made a lot of changes this year going from Unity 5.5 up to 2018.2, and there has been a lot of disruption to mod creators in particular. Every change, no matter how small it seems, always has unexpected ramifications for a project this size. And there are no substantial benefits to adopting .NET 4.x at this time either.

Right now my priorities are fixing bugs and locking down remaining features to get us out of pre-alpha.

hurleybird

Post by hurleybird »

I know what you mean about version upgrades, having a project of comparable size to this going from 4.6 all the way up to 2018.2, and each new version seems to break at least a couple things. I didn't run into any issues moving from 3.5 to 4.x though, and the language features have been very useful.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am looking forward to terrain improvements and Parallel.For instructions ;)
but no hurry regarding upgrading for now