Hanging mode discontinued

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
MeteoricDragon

Hanging mode discontinued

Post by MeteoricDragon » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi everyone, I've been working on the hanging mode and I've determined that it is just too impractical to implement it in Daggerfall, it's like trying to I can get it to kind of work, but not enough for a satisfying gaming experience. I think that I've pushed the unity system to its limits and I think that I've made the player able to do feats in spite of the limitations of Daggerfall's geometry. The player is still able to do lots they weren't able to do before, climbing in all directions, and wrapping around inside and outside corners and rappelling down walls. I'm going to discontinue working on the hanging aspect. I'll leave the code there, but put something to disable its use. If someone feels like picking up where I left off, that's perfectly fine with me. I plan on focusing on fixing other bugs with climbing or other areas in DFU.

Interkarma

Re: Hanging mode discontinued

Post by Interkarma » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:50 pm

Hey, welcome back! :) Fair enough, it's better to have something you're happy with than a compromise you're not. Advanced Climbing still feels really great to me even without using hanging mode.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Hey MD, nice to hear from you - hope life is going well for ya. Sounds like you're making the right call here to me, FWIW. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:55 am

Hanging was a bit wild so it feels reasonable its OFF now if its not up to your standards.

About the player motor... its very strange u can strafe with your cart/wagon attached to the horse. With just a horse its ok. With attached cart its just plain wrong.

I know... its same as in original. But its very strange to say at least... same as jumping with the wagon....

I think there should be some difference between horse and wagon transportation. Maybe horse should be fastrr as well.

But.. whats the reason to use cart than.. this whole part of Daggerfall doesnt make much sense.

pango

Post by pango » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:23 am

King of Worms wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:55 am
same as jumping with the wagon....
You can't jump with a wagon... unless that's what you meant in this sentence?
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 pm

I would like to see instead a method of dealing with eaves on buildings so it is possible to get on to roofs.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. DFU Ver. PreAlpha 0.8.6

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:32 am

jayhova wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 pm
I would like to see instead a method of dealing with eaves on buildings so it is possible to get on to roofs.
Actually I remember that I was able to get that working for some eaves, but ran into problems when trying to do it for all of them. I'll see what I can do. Maybe. Thing is that the player goes into hanging mode when pushing against the eave, then they need to press backwards to scale it.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:41 am

Yeah, if it's causing as many problems as it seems, it definitely seems to be the right thing to do to leave this behind and put your considerable skills to use helping to fix the many remaining bugs in DFU generally. Thanks for your work!