Future of DialogShortcuts.txt

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
pango

Re: Future of DialogShortcuts.txt

Post by pango »

Talking about the quest debugger, it would be useful to write somewhere that this is a debugger screen, because I've seen in explained to new users as a game feature, with all unwanted consequences (poor readability of building labels interpreted as poor implementation, labels shown in debugger but not on town map, quest not done in expected order,...)
Making the combo to bring the quest debugger more obscure would also somewhat help with that.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm genuinely surprised anyone would confuse this for something other than a developer's overlay.

What if we create a settings.ini option QuestDebugger that's disabled by default? While disabled, it's not possible to open quest debugger. The user must enable quest debugger setting if they need it for development.

Happy to change default keyboard shortcut as well. Any suggestions?

pango

Post by pango »

I suggested Ctrl-Alt-D before, but it could be anything else.
The only problem I noticed wth Ctrl-Alt-D is that the game picks up the D key being pressed, so you also move to the right each time you use that combo...
-- Charles Goodhart

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

pango wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:29 am The only problem I noticed wth Ctrl-Alt-D is that the game picks up the D key being pressed, so you also move to the right each time you use that combo...
This wouldn't be an unheard of thing for me. I know that some of the GTA games (Vice City definitely being one of them) have cheat codes that require pressing movement keys to activate, and those keys get picked up as movement commands.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't mind a small amount of movement when player opens debugger. Ctrl+Alt+D possibly isn't the best combo on Windows though, as it's used by one of the built-in Accessibility features (magnifier docking) and possibly elsewhere. This would of course be a rare conflict, but I've been contacted in the past by someone who was legally blind but could still play Daggerfall due to them being able to parse the big chunky graphics - so it's still a possibility someone could have magnifier open in DFU to read text.

Now that I think of it, many Ctrl+Alt combos are used as a system modifier somewhere in Windows. Might be best to avoid that modifier completely. What about Ctrl+Shift+D instead?

For the [ and ] keys, you mentioned these were difficult on AZERTY keyboards. I only selected these keys for marker cycle as classic uses those same keys for that purpose. Can you recommend something that would be easier for you and still work well on QWERTY keyboards?

Cheers!

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 am Now that I think of it, many Ctrl+Alt combos are used as a system modifier somewhere in Windows. Might be best to avoid that modifier completely. What about Ctrl+Shift+D instead?
Interkarma wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:34 am I don't mind a small amount of movement when player opens debugger. Ctrl+Alt+D possibly isn't the best combo on Windows though, as it's used by one of the built-in Accessibility features (magnifier docking) and possibly elsewhere. This would of course be a rare conflict, but I've been contacted in the past by someone who was legally blind but could still play Daggerfall due to them being able to parse the big chunky graphics - so it's still a possibility someone could have magnifier open in DFU to read text.

Now that I think of it, many Ctrl+Alt combos are used as a system modifier somewhere in Windows. Might be best to avoid that modifier completely. What about Ctrl+Shift+D instead?

For the [ and ] keys, you mentioned these were difficult on AZERTY keyboards. I only selected these keys for marker cycle as classic uses those same keys for that purpose. Can you recommend something that would be easier for you and still work well on QWERTY keyboards?

Cheers!
I think a Ctrl+Shift would be good. Players are unable to make custom combos for more than two keys so there would never be a conflict for that.

While it isn't classic, Shift+<arrow> and Ctrl+Shift+<arrow> should probably be favorable for all keyboards, right?
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks jefetienne! :) I'll use those combos in next release.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:02 pm Thanks jefetienne! :) I'll use those combos in next release.
Awesome :)
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

pango

Post by pango »

You mean just Ctrl and Shift? Isn't that likely to be triggered accidentally while playing (switching from running to sneak, or just big fingers)?
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nah, Ctrl+Shift+D to cycle debugger rather than Ctrl+Alt+D. See my post above jefetienne's. :)

And I'm making quest debugger disabled in settings by default. Nobody will open it accidentally, only people who want/need it will enable.