implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Re: started implementation of talk window

Post by Hazelnut »

Nystul wrote:
Hazelnut wrote: Aha, interesting -I meant swap the colours in the chat pane so questions asked were yellow and answers in blue. I did not explicitly say that though did I? Ha, silly ambiguous me.
i got you there, but I did it on purpose the other way around ;) but we can change it every time
next pull request is coming soon. You might give it a try and tell me afterwards.
Ok I will try it and give you feedback. (should I use reverse psychology in future.. :lol: )
Nystul wrote:Will need your help heavily with all those macros in text records of text.rsc file ;)
I hope not, once your next PR is in I am planning to set up the Macro Context Provider (MCP) for you (with a couple of example handlers) and then point you at the instructions for adding macros that I posted. :)
If I got it right you should find it easy and straightforward - that was my intention with the framework. If asking me every time and waiting for me to do it proves more convenient, then I failed. Hard. :o We shall see... I'm quite curious.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul this is shaping up nicely!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hazelnut wrote:
Nystul wrote:
Hazelnut wrote: Aha, interesting -I meant swap the colours in the chat pane so questions asked were yellow and answers in blue. I did not explicitly say that though did I? Ha, silly ambiguous me.
i got you there, but I did it on purpose the other way around ;) but we can change it every time
next pull request is coming soon. You might give it a try and tell me afterwards.
Ok I will try it and give you feedback. (should I use reverse psychology in future.. :lol: )
Nystul wrote:Will need your help heavily with all those macros in text records of text.rsc file ;)
I hope not, once your next PR is in I am planning to set up the Macro Context Provider (MCP) for you (with a couple of example handlers) and then point you at the instructions for adding macros that I posted. :)
If I got it right you should find it easy and straightforward - that was my intention with the framework. If asking me every time and waiting for me to do it proves more convenient, then I failed. Hard. :o We shall see... I'm quite curious.
Then I look forward to use your system. ;) But expect questions - I am a dummy

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

new pull request is issued with first macros being resolving, e.g. location hints for direction and map reveal is working.

Chances to get a map reveal are currently hard-coded to 25% if npc knows the location (which is currently hard-coded to 50% chance)

we will have to find out how vanilla df does all this, but it is a start ;)

known bug: palace directions are wrong and map reveal does not work for palace - have to look into this

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You're doing sterling work Nystul. There's a hell of a lot more to it than I originally thought there was for sure.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Are dialogue strings going to be moddable later on? :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

yes and yes.

in terms of fixed dialog texts: there is already an ITextProvider interface that is used. so replacements for text.rsc file should be possible in theory. This mechanism should also allow for translations of these texts when we go for translations in the far future

in terms of quests: in the future quests will be able to generate rumors, topics (location, person, thing) and general "Tell Me About" entries like vanilla quests (vanilla just seldomly uses this stuff - but there exist quests that make use of it)
I hope your quests will heavily use these features once they are implemented. It should be possible to create quests that require using the talk window to find a key subject of the quest (e.g. look for a person of whom you know in which town he/she resides but you don't know exactly where initially).

there are some hardcoded elements right now like direction hints ("east", "northwest", etc.) - but we will eventually find a way to make this modable too

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

anyone out there who knows how classic links common (not special) npc billboards to faces?

factiondata has only the flat information how it seems, e.g. Fighter Questers has correct flat indices but face is -1 there.

does anyone know how to automatically resolve faces for common npcs (of course I can hard-code them but this would be tedious to do for all static npc flats...)?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote:anyone out there who knows how classic links common (not special) npc billboards to faces?

factiondata has only the flat information how it seems, e.g. Fighter Questers has correct flat indices but face is -1 there.

does anyone know how to automatically resolve faces for common npcs (of course I can hard-code them but this would be tedious to do for all static npc flats...)?
I've not looked at this yet. One of the NPCs I was going to use as a good starting point was the jester in castle Daggerfall. He's so distinct in both flat and face form, there must be something mapping the flat/faction data to the face index.

If you're still stuck once I've smacked around some more bugs, I'll do what I can to help. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nystul wrote:anyone out there who knows how classic links common (not special) npc billboards to faces?

When I tested out the talk stuff a few days ago jsut on wandering NPCs I found that the faces were spot on appropriate from what I could see. Are you talking about static npcs indoors when you say common then?