gettin started coding

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
MeteoricDragon

gettin started coding

Post by MeteoricDragon »

I have been following the progress on Daggerfall Unity for a few months now and I've been reading some of the code edits in GitHub for a few weeks. I'd like to participate in some area in writing code for DFU. I have a Master's Degree in computer science and I've written small and medium applications in C#.Net.

What tools do I need to begin writing code and how do I set up a programming environment for DFU? I'd like to investigate.

Interkarma

Re: gettin started coding

Post by Interkarma »

Hi MeteoricDragon, welcome to the forums. :)

You will need a copy of Unity 5.5 (currently), a code editor (e.g. MonoDevelop as bundled with Unity, but I prefer Visual Studio), a clone of the GitHub repository, and a good copy of the Daggerfall files. If you've already played any of the Daggerfall Unity builds from Live Builds page successfully, then you can just point to those same game files.

This video shows the basics of cloning the repository in Windows and running the game. Just let us know if any problems encountered here and myself or someone else should be able to help.

From there, I'd recommend working through the Getting Started tutorial for Daggerfall Tools for Unity. This lets you play with how the Unity side of things interfaces with the binary game files. After that, take a deep-dive through some of the gameplay and world generation systems to see how it all fits together at runtime.

If you're interested in creating mods, check out TheLacus' awesome modding tutorials.

Please be aware the project may not need much additional help at this point in time. The current set of core developers is firing on all cylinders and making rapid progress. The Roadmap is where you can see features already implemented and those coming up. We currently have 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 features all in development concurrently. Anything further out is a mostly dependent on what is being developed now.

MeteoricDragon

Re: gettin started coding

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Thank you! I'm experimenting with code for Daggefall Unity now! I am using this as evidence of coding enthusiasm for job prospects.