Looking to Contribute to the Project!

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
TheExceptionist

Looking to Contribute to the Project!

Post by TheExceptionist »

Hey Guys,

I'm a Computer Science student and I looking for something to fill some of my freetime. I've worked with Unity on smaller games before and I'm pretty fluent in C# and C/C++(Although I doubt this will be of any use). I was a big fan of the original Daggerfall and was wondering if there was anything in particular that I could contribute to? Thanks.

Interkarma

Re: Looking to Contribute to the Project!

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, welcome to the forums! :)

Check out the Roadmap to see what has been implemented and what's coming up. Most of the big systems have already been snagged by other contributors and already in progress, but there's plenty of small holes that fixing.

One example that was a topic of conversation just today was for the talk window. Specifically asking about the location of a quest NPC in town. Most of the framework for this is already in the game, we just need somebody to link everything up to chat interface.

I would advise first taking leisurely stroll through the code and mucking about with a few systems to get a feel for how it all hangs together. If you haven't found it already, the GitHub page is below.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

not sure if the "talk about quest npcs in town" is a good starting task, there is still an open issue with npcs in general related to quests, see post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=672&start=90#p9199 and follow up posts (especially your post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=672&start=90#p9218 - have you had the time to implement this behaviour?)

I have done a lot of testing of vanilla df and person "talk" options (which are much more tricky than one thinks at first glance) and could implement this in a few hours if the issues mentioned in the posts are resolved. Back then I decided to focus on open tasks like quest rumors and questor greeting messages so maybe that's why we forgot about the open issues with person resources.

anyway these were basically my findings (in case someone else wants to try the implementation):
  • questor is a talk option in the "Where Is"->"Person" list, but only if:
    • player is in same town as questor
    • player is not talking to questor (would be funny to ask the guy: "hey, where can I find you?")
  • other quest npcs as a talk option behave like this:
    • person is only on the list if there is a "dialog link" command for the person resource
    • if there is a "dialog link" together with an "add_dialog" command the npc is added only after "add dialog" command is executed as far as I remember
    • the npcs are only a talk option on the list if player is in the same town

TheExceptionist

Ok, thanks.

I'll have to get acquainted with the codebase first.

TheExceptionist

Ok, so I'm having trouble understanding the technical side of what exactly a "dialog - link" is. I get the it's used to determine if a piece of dialog is available to the player... but how exactly is it implemented / used in the code?