Dev build/Linux: horse in dungeon [RESOLVED]

pango

Dev build/Linux: horse in dungeon [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

The problem this time is that Daggerfall Unity matches classic too well ;)
If you set an anchor into a dungeon, exit, mount your horse and recall, your horse will be teleported with you inside the dungeon:
I actually find that funny, so it could be left (but you should be allowed to dismount your horse indoors to "fix" the situation), but it may break other mechanisms, so it may not be safe to fix that way (and for one your head is very high and at times you can have a peek thru the ceiling).
Attachments
SAVE107.zip
(298.15 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Re: Dev build/Linux: horse in dungeon

Post by Jay_H »

Aah, I remember trying this in classic to see if it would work! :D I've gotta do it before it gets patched out!

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

but you should be allowed to dismount your horse indoors to "fix" the situation
That's not really a proper fix. A proper fix would be to dismount the player upon teleport.

And really, you shouldn't even be able to cast spells when mounted. The horse's head would be hit by projectiles, you can't levitate off a horse, you can't teleport indoors with a horse. It's nothing but problems. But people will cry classic...

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I would certainly say the ability to heal myself and restore my fatigue while on horseback are viable uses for spells ;)

pango

Post by pango »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:56 am That's not really a proper fix. A proper fix would be to dismount the player upon teleport.
killjoy :) I know that it would likely cause issues, and be harder to support.
On the other hand I imagine a player doing this for the first time by accident, and finding himself in this silly situation... :lol:
If it wasn't game-breaking like in classic, that would be perfect.

Code: Select all

if (transportKey){
    if (inDoors) {
      if (onHorse || onCart)
        dismount();
      else
        messagebox("Can't change transportation indoors");
    } else {
      ... transportation menu ...
    }
  }
And people who know the bug from classic would totally understand where we're coming from.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nope, this is not supposed to happen. I did the transport stuff and don't care if this is a beloved bug from classic, it should not be happening with my code! :x

Anyway, tracked it down to a pre-transition event not being fired for the specific code path used to transport players into dungeons. Since the transport manager listens for this event and auto-dismounts, this was the cause of the bug.

I'm now idly wondering how many people have gone back to classic after playing DFU and got really irritated at having to manually dismount the horse to enter buildings...? That was one of the rough edges I smoothed off in transport system because it irritated the hell out of me. 8-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Re: Dev build/Linux: horse in dungeon [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

It was fun while it lasted... :D
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

No fun allowed! :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Narf the Mouse

Re: Pre-Alpha 0.7.36/Windows: horse in dungeon [RESOLVED]

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Possibly a related bug on Windows, so re-using this topic; I set an anchor in the Mage's Guild before doing a quest. After the quest, I tried teleporting back while on my cart. The game froze on the loading screen (using the Loading Screen mod). Basically I took a quick trip down the hall, then went and ate some pie, and DFU was still loading the new location and wouldn't shrink to desktop (Windows+D). Had to end-task it in Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

More testing and a save available if needed. :) Currently trying to teleport back while on foot; it's still taking a long time, but the window hasn't gone non-responsive yet.

As for mods, "Pretty near everything that works". I don't have Mountains and Hills because I'm using Distant Terrain.

Edit: Attached save.
Teleport_Freeze_Save.zip
(269.94 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Update: It hasn't frozen in the "on-foot" teleport, but it's been spinning long enough for me to create a house-ruled D&D 3.5 Human Barbarian from level 1 to level 10... Or about 2:30 hours.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.