Build #122 - Arrow weight checking only for 0.25 instead of whole weight [RESOLVED]

Peepo

Build #122 - Arrow weight checking only for 0.25 instead of whole weight [RESOLVED]

Post by Peepo »

I've been carrying 8kg of arrows with me, and just dropped them cause of missclick, and noticed my total weight didn't go down, that was really strange. After testing for a bit i noticed 2 outcomes.

Outcome 1:
If i drop the arrows i could pick them up and not change my load. Which would go from 67.91 to 75.91 (on part1.png and part2.png) but it actually stayed on 67.91.

Outcome 2:
I couldn't pick up the arrows until i actually had at least 0.25X (had to drop an extra coin after reaching 0.25) of weight that i can carry left, so i would pick up the arrows (and not increase my load), and then pick up the coins back.( I'll put the prints and this explanation again on a second comment cause i need 3 more attachments)
Attachments
part2.png
part2.png (214.06 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
part1.png
part1.png (227.55 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

Peepo

Re: Build #122 - Arrow weight checking only for 0.25 instead of whole weight

Post by Peepo »

Outcome 2:
I couldn't pick up the arrows until i actually had at least 0.25X (had to drop an extra coin after reaching 0.25) of weight that i can carry left, so i would pick up the arrows (and not increase my load), and then pick up the coins back. (extra1.png,extra2.png,extra3.png)

Extra1: Can't pick up cause i don't have 0.25 free space.
Extra2: Cant't pick up cause i don't have exactly 0.25 free space. (74 coins dropped)
Extra 3: Can pick up cause maybe i have exactly 0.25 or less than 0.255(?) don't know how many numbers after the "." you guys use. (75 coins dropped)

Total arrow weight: 6,25kg on this.
Attachments
extra3.png
extra3.png (213.4 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
extra2.png
extra2.png (201.7 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
extra1.png
extra1.png (215.99 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

Peepo

Post by Peepo »

The problem of checking only for 1x weight repeats with Gold coins, but it adds to my load unlike the arrows, if i don't have 0.00X i can't pick a stack, but i if have i can pick any amount it seems and it goes above the max weight.

So i assume the problem is with stacks and not exactly with arrows.

coin1.png: Above max weight, so i can't pick up.
coin2.png: 259 coins dropped, so i still have more than 70.00X
coin3.png: 260 coins dropped, so i have less than 70.00X, and now i can pick up the coins.
Attachments
coin3.png
coin3.png (245.32 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
coin2.png
coin2.png (236.13 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
coin1.png
coin1.png (274.58 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the report. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Can you summarise the bug for me please? I know that I made the decision to allow player to pick ap above the weight limit in certain circumstances to ensure you would never lose stuff as a player because of weight issues. There's no penalty for being overweight except not being able to pick up anything else. It should be a simple and forgiving system that prevents carrying tonnes of heavy stuff in your pockets. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Peepo

Post by Peepo »

I know that I made the decision to allow player to pick ap above the weight limit in certain circumstances
BUG: Then the real bug is just with the Arrows, it only checks if you can carry 1 ( as intented based on what you said) , but they're considered weigthless when in your inventory(On the two first images of the post you can see my load doesn't change at all when i'm with or without the arrows on my inventory).

ABUSING THE SYSTEM: And with the right setup i can pick up anything as long as i can drop the ammount of coins(or arrows) to get to the exact weight left for the item + 1 coin, then i pick the item and all the coins back with no issue. Don't know if this is intented or you want to limit it.

Ex: I want to pick this 40kg armor but i have 70/70kg load, i'll drop 40.1kg of coins, pick the armor and then pick the coins back, now i have 110,1/70kg.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sorry it's taken me so long to look into this. Life is a bit hectic etc. (also England were in a world cup, GG Croatia :))

Anyway, the bug here was that the checks were not taking stacksize into account allowing abuse. (stacks are a DFU enhancement apart from gp & arrows) The instances I was talking about allowing player to pick up more than weight limit in certain circumstances is not allowed by the weight check functions, they are simply just not called. The main one I can recall is quest rewards IIRC, and there may be others. Realism in games should provide atmosphere and immersion, which being put in a situation where you lose a quest reward due to over encumbrance just sucks the immersion out of the game IMO. IRL you would be able to sort something out, so DFU enables that by allowing temporary overweight.

So I've fixed the stack bug now. You will still find arrows are weightless regardless of description, since this is how classic works. Otherwise archers are penalised for having to carry 10-20kg of arrows everywhere.

Peepo, once the fix is in a release could you give it a thourough test for me please? I'm a bit rusty and didn't have the energy to go to town testing the fixes in every scenario.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Peepo

Post by Peepo »

Sorry for the late reply here too, i've been kinda sick the last few days so kinda disconnected from the game/forums.
Peepo, once the fix is in a release could you give it a thourough test for me please? I'm a bit rusty and didn't have the energy to go to town testing the fixes in every scenario.
I can try it out when the version releases ( assuming it hasn't already ), but what exact instance you want me to check for?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The PR has been merged into master so now you just need to wait for the next build that's released whenever that happens. No rush though, hope you're feeling better.