Build #132 - Lady Brisienna does not spawn at specified Inn (spawns elsewhere) [RESOLVED]

Mannimacus

Build #132 - Lady Brisienna does not spawn at specified Inn (spawns elsewhere) [RESOLVED]

Post by Mannimacus »

After receiving the second letter from Lady Brisienna I traveled to Whiteham to find her The Fox and Chasm Inn as instructed in the letter, however, she does not spawn in the building.

Windows PreAlpha 0.5 #132 10-Sep-18 64-bit

Interkarma

Re: Lady Brisienna does not spawn at specified Inn

Post by Interkarma »

Hi Mannimacus, welcome to the forums. :)

Could you provide a zip of your save game please. I'm not aware of this as a bug. I'll move to Help & Support until verified.

Mannimacus

Post by Mannimacus »

Thank you for replying so fast. I cannot seem to find the save files. They are empty in the vanilla folder and in the unity folder the files referred in the guide are not there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No problems, and thank you for the report. :)

The persistent data path is also shown on the launcher before hitting Play. I'll drop some screenshots from my end that might help.

First note of the path shown in launcher:
path-1.jpg
path-1.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

Then navigate to this path (assuming Windows). The AppData path is a hidden folder, you can either enable hidden files or just append the \AppData part manually to path.
path-2.jpg
path-2.jpg (62.35 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

Inside the Saves folder, the saves are numbered SAVE0, SAVE1, etc. If you aren't sure which save is the one you want, check the number in save/load interface inside game.
path-3.jpg
path-3.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

The persistent data path is a Unity-specific location that varies by platform. I wish they chose somewhere a bit easier to find.

Mannimacus

Post by Mannimacus »

Thank you so much for the help.
Attachments
SAVE43.rar
(250.13 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Perfect, thank you for save.

Looking at quest debugger, you missed the first window of opportunity to meet Lady B (first letter) and have now followed up after reminder (second letter). You are correct that Lady B should still be present in tavern at this time until the final _pcfailed_ timer counts down to 0.
quest-timers.jpg
quest-timers.jpg (187.26 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

There are no errors in logs and I'm not sure what's gone wrong at this time. I'll dig into this a little and fix as soon possible. Moving back to bug reports now.

Interkarma

Re: Build #132 - Lady Brisienna does not spawn at specified Inn (spawns elsewhere)

Post by Interkarma »

Have looked into this a little. Weirdly, our Lady B has spawned somewhere else entirely. If you wish to continue with the quest, you'll find her in "The Kingsly Residence" in Oxway. Here's a screenshot of map to help you locate.
improper-spawn.jpg
improper-spawn.jpg (235.84 KiB) Viewed 2381 times

I'm not sure what happened here. It should be impossible for "place npc" to assign target resource to incorrect place. This would have gone wrong at the moment of quest instantiation.

I've started a few new games in a row, and have not been able to reproduce yet. Lady B is spawned perfectly each time. This looks like a fairly rare and unusual outcome.

I'll review the code and try to find the failure point when possible.

Edit: OK, getting closer. Lady B has been assigned to her automatic quest "home" - something all NPCs receive for stories involving non-permanent NPCs. The quest system has assigned her to this home rather than her correct marker in the tavern. Still, this shouldn't have happened. But at least I have a first cause to chase down.

Interkarma

Re: Build #132 - Lady Brisienna does not spawn at specified Inn (spawns elsewhere)

Post by Interkarma »

Have resolved this one now. Problem appears to be a rare order execution bug where individual NPCs are auto-assigned to the random home Place granted to all quest Person resources.

This is incorrect behaviour for individual NPCs in any case. They are either always at home as they're part of layout data, or moved elsewhere by quest. There's no case where an individual NPC should be placed to auto home, which is only intended for commoner quests and the like.

I've added an exclusion for individual PCs to PlaceAtHome() mechanism so this can't happen in future builds. Unfortunately, the incorrect data is already in your save game. But you can travel to the house in screenshot above to find Lady B within the remaining time in your save game.

Mannimacus

Re: Build #132 - Lady Brisienna does not spawn at specified Inn (spawns elsewhere) [RESOLVED]

Post by Mannimacus »

Thank you for all your help.