Dev build/Linux: regression: modal shops quality hint not working [RESOLVED]

pango

Dev build/Linux: regression: modal shops quality hint not working [RESOLVED]

Post by pango »

#99 had the classic quality hint message when you enter a shop; it was lost before #120
(I have no version in between to be more precise than that :/ )
Last edited by pango on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Re: Dev build/Linux: regression: shops quality descriptions missing

Post by pango »

Ok, so after more investigation it can be replaced by scrolling text, but it is controlled by ShopQualityPresentation that I couldn't find any GUI counterpart for.
But it remains that ShopQualityPresentation = 0 doesn't work as intended
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Re: Dev build/Linux: regression: modal shops quality hint not working

Post by Hazelnut »

This works fine on windows, will test on Linux in a little while. Unfortunately my Linux setup is tricky to use for debug now because when a breakpoint is hit, the mouse pointer is not released from DFU so I can only use keyboard shortcuts to debug which is beyond my tedium threshold. Not sure if this is a DFU codebase cahnge or the move from Unity 5.5 at this point.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

This works fine on Linux running DFU in Unity editor, but doesn't work in build #134 or #137 on Linux as the bug says. Not sure how to investigate further.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Interesting to have a disparity between editor version and build for something simple like this. Normally build-specific problems are something asset related like a shader not included.

Maybe something to do with script order. I'll investigate further when I can. Thank you for looking into this one Hazelnut. :)

pango

Post by pango »

I wish I knew how to run DFU under debugger; I found out how to run it inside the Editor (thanks to an old Interkarma video), but not much more. I installed monodevelop but attaching to the Editor didn't work so well, I must be doing something wrong...
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah, Unity debugging with MonoDevelop is not quite as stable as with MS VS on windows - but I've crashed Unity many times in both environments.

The Linux Unity installer should install MonoDevelop, and then when DFU is open in editor you can right click on any file in project and select the bottom option 'open in c# editor'. (you might need to ensure that MonoDevelop is set as the script editor in Unity settings... I set mine up over a year ago now so is a bit hazy)

Then start DFU, get into the state you want to debug, switch to MD and set a breakpoint, then press the play button with the drop downs set to 'Debug' & 'Unity Editor'.

Then it should work, although I am finding that the mouse pointer is not being released like it used to be which makes the debugger very hard to use by keyboard only. I have noticed a difference in the pointer behaviour in game as well with the pointer remaining visible after using a UI window when it didn't used to, and have to click on the window to make it go away.

pango

Post by pango »

It seems MonoDevelop is no longer bundled with Unity, the IDEs supported in the documentation are VS Code and JetBrains Rider.
And (maybe related to the previous) I don't have "Unity Editor" choice is the second dropdown, only a (non selectable) "Default" :(
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is resolved in code now, fix will be in next round of builds.