excessive leveling in PreAlpha 0.5 #137 14-Oct-18 64bit [RESOLVED]

Midknightprince

excessive leveling in PreAlpha 0.5 #137 14-Oct-18 64bit [RESOLVED]

Post by Midknightprince »

I just started this guy last night.
If you rest, he will lvl to 2, rest again, and he'll lvl's to 3, and when he's done, he's almost at lvl 4.
Here's the output during all that, and the save before..
He's a custom class, but the exp rate is default, it's not higher, or lower, and I haven't cleared privateers hold yet, so it seems like something funky is going on.
Maybe my guy's just talented, but I figured you should check it, and see.....
p.s this is from the Github version on friday, before that LB, it's got all the stuff that one had in, and I didn't see any reports about it, so If I missed something (which is usually the case, let me know).

just saw lb was up, let me try that, and i'll do no mods too cause I'm a sweetheart
Okay, it still does it, my guy is almost 4, and this is off the lb that just came out, no mods..
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(185.33 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
output_log.zip
(17.72 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Re: excessive leveling in PreAlpha 0.5 #137 14-Oct-18 64bit

Post by pango »

Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Midknightprince

pango wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm Looks related to https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1311

I Thought I saw that a while back, thank you..

Midknightprince

Dest, and Myst are not what I set when I made him, I'm starting to think it was the questions I answered with on creation.
He is leveling normal now, and the first lvl is real easy to get when you start.
I dunno, I just never leveled twice in one break like that.
I guess its possible..
Is it possible ?

pango

Post by pango »

A level up requires 15 skill improvements among the "skills that matter" for the class you created(*), except the first level up that only requires 2 because technically you start the game just a bit below level 2.
The position of the "skill dagger" during class creation should change how easy or hard it is to improve each skill, not that "15 skill improvements" rule.
So if you don't see those 15 skills up between level 2 and level 3, like it seems given the situation you describe, something must be wrong...

*. for the gory details that don't really matter here, https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Leveling_and_Skills
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

pango wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 pm except the first level up that only requires 2 because technically you start the game just a bit below level 2.
This also depends on character background questions at creation. Whether you choose to excel in your Primary skills or in something else will determine how close you are to level 2 upon creation. Some of my classic characters were actually worthy of level 2 upon game start.

Midknightprince

Yeah you're supposed to only need 2 skill points to get to level 2, I think I read that somewhere.
I don't know man it just seemed weird, going up twice just like that

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

You were right, there was a problem here. The sum of all the player's skills at the start of the game are always used to determine what level you should be at. Recently the biography questions were added to the game, and these include questions that raise some of your skills, but these weren't being included in the sum of your skills at the start of the game. So, effectively, if those skill raised you got from the biography questions were a primary, major or minor skill, they were being treated like skill advances you had got while playing, so you'd get to levels 2 and 3 fast. Also, even after that, you would always gain a level a little faster than you should have.

Fix is submitted now. But, it won't fix your character. You'll have to go in to SaveData.txt and manually edit "startingLevelUpSkillSum": 155.

With the fix applied, the starting sum I got for a test character I made was 175, so you could use that if you want.

Midknightprince

That's what I was thinking, man you guys are awesome, thank you. :D

Midknightprince

R.D. wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:52 pm
With the fix applied, the starting sum I got for a test character I made was 175, so you could use that if you want.
I'm gonna try this, thank you R.D.