#137 "make _item_ permanent" possibly not clearing quest flag from item generated by quest [RESOLVED]

jedidia

#137 "make _item_ permanent" possibly not clearing quest flag from item generated by quest [RESOLVED]

Post by jedidia »

First of all, I'm not sure where the bug here lies. Not even 100% sure if it's a bug, it might be a feature...
During a standard fighters guild quest, my target dropped a magic sword that shows up with a green background in my inventory. Green background usually means an important quest item, so I don't think this is supposed to be that way. At least I have never seen this in my (admittedly not super long) experience in vanilla daggerfall.

In any case, these important items are not removable from the inventory. Not even into your wagon, and also not into a shop inventory. In other words, they can't be sold, repaired or identified.

I know a lot of old-school RPGs that have the concept of cursed items that, once equipped, cannot be removed, but I'm not aware of those existing in daggerfall. And even if, I think it should still be possible to identify them. Judging by my stats, it gives me a random endurance bonus when equipped, up to a whopping 22%, apparently... doesn't seem too cursed, in any case.

So either there's a bug here that either some magic items come falsely marked as quest items, or that they are not identifiable/repairable. And it would be nice if they could be put on the wagon...

pango

Re: #137 Irremovable inventory items

Post by pango »

Daggerfall Unity is rather conservative about what you can do with a quest item, so what you're seeing is probably just the current behavior of a quest item. So the first point is, maybe that should be relaxed a bit, say it doesn't seem foolish to allow to identify quest items, or that they can be put in a persisted container: wagon, ship... (on the other hand if you can use a weapon quest item, can it eventually break? What happens then).
The second point is, was that sword meant to be a quest item. Either the quest was too obscure, or this is a bug.
Do you know what quest it was? Say, does it left messages in the log? Otherwise some gamesave could help identify it...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Do you know what quest it was? Say, does it left messages in the log?
Just a "go to dungeon X and kill a giant that is eating too many sheep" quest. When I attacked the quest target, there was a message that "the giant seems to have invited some friends for dinner", after which I was busy for a while swinging at giants left and right while running around trying not to die.

There was no item needed to finish the quest or anything. I just had to get back to the fighters guild and get payed. Also, the sword was in the loot of the quest target, so I could have potentially left it there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is new behaviour. Items should only be marked as quest items if generated by quest system. Random drops should not be assigned quest status.

Could you please provide a save, this will help me investigate. Thank you.

pango

Post by pango »

It could be quest M0B00Y16, it contains the creation of a magic item

Code: Select all

Item _harpy_ magic_item
        give item _harpy_ to _giant_ 
_S.03_ task:
        killed 1 _giant_ 
        make _harpy_ permanent 
From what I understand the latter is supposed to drop the "quest" attribute, looks like it failed to do so, or that instruction was never executed for some reason...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: #137 "make _item_ permanent" possibly not clearing quest flag from item generated by quest

Post by Interkarma »

I've just re-played M0B00Y16 a few times in a row and "make _item_ permanent" fired perfectly each time.

I'd still like a copy of affected save if possible to better investigate. Cheers.

jedidia

Re: #137 "make _item_ permanent" possibly not clearing quest flag from item generated by quest

Post by jedidia »

Could you please provide a save, this will help me investigate. Thank you.
I won't be at home until pretty late at night, so it might take another day (CET no less), but I will get you one eventually.
From which point would you like to have it? I can provide one from before engaging the quest target (though I don't assume that would drop the same item), before turning in the quest, or after that.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's fine, no rush. Before turning in quest with the affected item still in your inventory is ideal. Cheers. :)

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

with the affected item still in your inventory
That's not a problem, I couldn't get rid of it even if I wanted to! :lol:

Here's the save. Just talk to the guy right in front of you to hand in the quest. You should spot the corpus delicti pretty easily in the magic items tab. It's not like it's very crowded there yet.
Attachments
bugged-broadsword.zip
(198.53 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This has been resolved in builds after report was made. Older saves affected by this will need to edit off quest flag in save data manually to drop or sell item.