win_64 0.7.91 A0C00Y07 Extermination quest [RESOLVED]

jayhova

Monsters in house quest DaggerfallUnity_Windows_x64 #60

Post by jayhova »

I received a quest to remove monsters inhabiting a house in Daggerfall. I was given this quest by an NPC at an inn. I was unable to start the quest during the day so I rested at an inn which meant I had to do the quest at night; "Vengence!". In any case, I finally locate the house. The door is locked so I pick the lock. I go in and there are no monsters to be found. I leave an go to a local inn to sleep and regain stamina when monsters spawn in the inn. It seems that once I go to the house monsters start spawning and keep spawning until I'm dead. The location seems to have no effect.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Hazelnut

Re: Monsters in house quest DaggerfallUnity_Windows_x64 #60

Post by Hazelnut »

This is the way a lot of the classic Daggerfall quests work. Once you enter the target building, enemies are then spawned in at random intervals. If you leave I don't think the quests have any detection to disable the spawning. Basically wait until the mobs arrive. DFU is matching the original game here I believe.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

It's been a while since I played the original but this does not seem to match what I recall. There seems to be no way to end the quest. The monsters keep spawning until I die. The only way to get the monsters to appear seems to be to wait. Am I mistaken in my recollection that the way these quests functioned in original DF was that when you got to the location the monsters were already spawned and you killed the monsters and that was it. It seems strange that the monsters would follow me to the inn and attack me there.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The monsters should generally only spawn inside the target building, but it does depend on the quest script. Either outcome is possible, and I have no way of knowing which quest you're playing from this report

Can you please provide a save game or quest name so I can investigate further? This bug report by itself doesn't provide enough information. Thanks. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

jayhova wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:27 pmIt seems strange that the monsters would follow me to the inn and attack me there.
I know of one classic monster slaying quest that behaves like this. I was followed by rats on the way back to the guild hall, not knowing the quest wasn't finished yet.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:38 pm The monsters should generally only spawn inside the target building, but it does depend on the quest script. Either outcome is possible, and I have no way of knowing which quest you're playing from this report

Can you please provide a save game or quest name so I can investigate further? This bug report by itself doesn't provide enough information. Thanks. :)
Emailed

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

There seems to be similar behavior from low-level Thieves Guild quests. I will be sent to X house in Y town to steal Z. Much of the time I will get to the house and steal the item, leave, fast travel back to the original town and run back to the thieves guild. A few times I am attacked while running to the guild, once in the guild, rarely in the house with the alleged guardian. More often than not, I will complete the quest with no encounters.

jayhova

win_64 0.7.91 A0C00Y07 Extermination quest [RESOLVED]

Post by jayhova »

I know I've said so before, but I think I have sufficient proof that this quest is bugged. So once again I got this quest, but this time I had an armored more martial character. Again, as I have said before, this quest just keeps sending enemies after you until you die. I killed 20+ vermin trying to complete the quest. One thing I discovered was that in order to advance the quest you have to leave the "house" (in this case the mages guild) and come back. The first time I did this I had 5 monsters come at me all at once. This seems to be repeatable. You are either waiting for the monster to spawn or fighting multiple monsters that all spawn at once. When I originally got the quest I went to the mages guild and fought nothing but bats. Eventually they stopped coming, I then when back to the quest giver to be told I failed the quest. I think the spawn time between the bats was so long that I ran out the quest clock waiting because loitering adds extra time, possibly (this should be tested buy someone who knows what they are doing). I was never able to complete the quest because eventually I would get killed.

The quest actually says handful of monsters and I'm pretty sure that is how it is supposed to work. I fought four or five handfuls before dying.
Attachments
SAVE30.zip
(326.98 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Interkarma

Re: win_64 0.7.91 A0C00Y07 Extermination quest

Post by Interkarma »

What is the bug you're reporting, exactly? Could you summarise the issue in a few words?

jayhova

Re: win_64 0.7.91 A0C00Y07 Extermination quest

Post by jayhova »

Quest cannot be completed because monsters come in a nearly endless stream.
  1. When first entering the mages guild (the House in this case) the PC fights a stream of bats that do not seem to advance the quest
  2. When the PC leaves the mages guild and comes back, a new stream of monsters starts this can be as many as five at a time
  3. This repeats (having to fight monsters, leave the building and come back, eventually having to break in) resulting in a quest that is virtually uncompletable.
  4. The spawn time can also make the quest hard to complete if the PC uses the Loiter function to wait for the next spawn
I used the quest debugger and the stages only advanced (turned green) when I left and came back.