Dev build/Linux: other ship and Aetherius entrance clearly visible from ship [CLOSED]

pango

Dev build/Linux: other ship and Aetherius entrance clearly visible from ship [CLOSED]

Post by pango »

(SPOILER ALERT)
I know it is an oversight of orginal design rather than a Daggerfall Unity bug, but with modern resolutions it is becoming hard to miss one ship from the other, or even the Aetherius entrance from the small ship.

Could some kind of terrain coordinates mapping be used to relocate ships farther away from one another ?
I also wonder if the Aetherius entrance should be made out-of-bounds, at the same time world borders get added.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Re: Dev build/Linux: other ship and Aetherius entrance clearly visible from ship

Post by Hazelnut »

Except for auto-reducing draw distance when in the ship map pixels I can't think of an easy way around this. Let's wait to see what Interkarma thinks.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: Dev build/Linux: other ship and Aetherius entrance clearly visible from ship

Post by Interkarma »

The easy answer is to exclude the external entrance block from that map pixel.

But I dunno, I kind of like this. It's like an easter egg carried over from classic. It gives me a similar satisfaction as Planescape: Torment knowing the beginning and the end were so close all along.

Most of us long term players know it's there, and speed runners would crucify me if I just removed it. I'd prefer something a bit more in-world like covering it with an illusion that still allows it to be found. I agree it's too easy to find now.

Maybe the entrance rock model at that map pixel will only fade into reality once you swim close enough to it. Something along those lines.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:48 pm The easy answer is to exclude the external entrance block from that map pixel.

But I dunno, I kind of like this. It's like an easter egg carried over from classic. It gives me a similar satisfaction as Planescape: Torment knowing the beginning and the end were so close all along.

Most of us long term players know it's there, and speed runners would crucify me if I just removed it. I'd prefer something a bit more in-world like covering it with an illusion that still allows it to be found. I agree it's too easy to find now.

Maybe the entrance rock model at that map pixel will only fade into reality once you swim close enough to it. Something along those lines.
May I recomend not changing a thing,...
We, the dark creatures of the night, approve this behavior, with every fabric of our being..
Thank you for your consideration you punny insignificant mortals, I go now to revel in the ultimate glory..........
Check out my YouTube Channel!