Build #139 - Dungeon Automap in 3D View gets zoomed out each time you press Tab a few times

BlueBolt

Build #139 - Dungeon Automap in 3D View gets zoomed out each time you press Tab a few times

Post by BlueBolt »

This is an annoying one that I don't recall happening until recently. I have the Automap shortcut key set to Tab since that's what I'm used to when playing original Doom, and each time I press Tab to close the map, I gotta zoom back in when I reopen it. Closing the Automap by pressing Exit or pressing Esc doesn't cause the issue when I open it again with Tab.

Also, having the Automap key set to Tab causes a problem where the Toggle Focus action merges with the Open/Close Automap action, so when you press it while the Automap is open, it closes it, but if you change the hotkey to default or another key, Tab still is bound to closing the map when you press it in Automap (but not when you press it in-game to try opening the map) until you relaunch the game. After relaunching the game, the Tab key works correctly in Automap in 2D view, but in 3D view, it stills zooms out.

Edit: So I guess this technically counts as two bugs in one, because when changing the hotkey to open the automap, the game still keeps the previous hotkey assigned to closing the map until you close and relaunch the game.

Interkarma

Re: Build #139 - Dungeon Automap in 3D View gets zoomed out each time you press Tab a few times

Post by Interkarma »

I'm not able to reproduce the zooming behaviour, this seems to be sound in live code.

But I can see the difficulty with using Tab as your automap hotkey. This key is also used by the dungeon automap, so the usual close toggle window support is broken by a conflicting key. And there's currently no way to change the hotkey action assigned to Tab inside automap window.

I'll leave this up to Nystul to decide how he would like this handled.

Nystul

Re: Build #139 - Dungeon Automap in 3D View gets zoomed out each time you press Tab a few times

Post by Nystul »

known limitation for now yes. Will think about if it is possible to deactivate automap related hotkey if it matches global map open hotkey (need to solve this in generic way for all possible hotkeys)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

spent some time on investigating this and find a solution
BlueBolt wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:33 am This is an annoying one that I don't recall happening until recently. I have the Automap shortcut key set to Tab since that's what I'm used to when playing original Doom, and each time I press Tab to close the map, I gotta zoom back in when I reopen it. Closing the Automap by pressing Exit or pressing Esc doesn't cause the issue when I open it again with Tab.
I cannot reproduce this - it stays at the zoom level when closing and reopening for me
BlueBolt wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:33 am Also, having the Automap key set to Tab causes a problem where the Toggle Focus action merges with the Open/Close Automap action, so when you press it while the Automap is open, it closes it, but if you change the hotkey to default or another key, Tab still is bound to closing the map when you press it in Automap (but not when you press it in-game to try opening the map) until you relaunch the game. After relaunching the game, the Tab key works correctly in Automap in 2D view, but in 3D view, it stills zooms out.
These are two separate problems:
1) is that toggle focus is on "tab" key and also fires - I know now how to fix this (making the automap hotkeys switch to a fallback key when they are the same as the global map hotkey)
2) is the changing of map key requiring a restart (I also know how to fix this - toggle key is only checked once in setup - I have to check on every window push or on global keybinding change)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

my current pull request should fix the 2 bugs

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

from my point of view this is resolved now

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Nystul. :)