Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Post by pango »

That's probably in a todo list, but I didn't see it in the roadmap (probably something for 0.7?):
weapons are immediately repaired, whereas it can take days in Daggerfall classic.
Last edited by pango on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jfcaron

Re: Dev build/Linux: instantaneous repairs do not match classic

Post by jfcaron »

Same on OSX. I forgot it took time in classic. I kind of like it better this way.

Are the Linux & OSX builds very similar and generally share the same bugs?

pango

Post by pango »

jfcaron wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 am Same on OSX. I forgot it took time in classic. I kind of like it better this way.
Well, it gives an incentive to either switch gears and stay in town for a while, or have secondary or spare weapons you can afford, to keep dungeoneering.
One "problem" in classic is that you can forget where you left your weapon, or that you left a weapon at all. Maybe too close to real life ;)
jfcaron wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 am Are the Linux & OSX builds very similar and generally share the same bugs?
Builds are virtually identical, there's platform-specific bugs, but maybe 97% of bugs are common to all platforms.
Still, I report the platform I observed the issue on, to follow bug reporting guidelines.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Its in Win 10 also, and I'm pretty sure the repair stuff is still a WIP, you can repair magic stuff at the blacksmith too and that's definitely not classic.
I am looking forward to waiting a few days to get my stuff back tho.
I miss that..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

I never liked this feature in classic DF much, partly because of having to remember the when and where. It would be much more player-friendly in a QoL way to have a journal entry telling you when and where the repair is due, similar to a DFU quest entry, so you have the option to see it counting down.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Prester Lewin wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:15 am I never liked this feature in classic DF much, partly because of having to remember the when and where. It would be much more player-friendly in a QoL way to have a journal entry telling you when and where the repair is due, similar to a DFU quest entry, so you have the option to see it counting down.
Sounds like a job for the notebook feature :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

This is not a bug, but a feature that was intentionally not implemented when I originally did repairing. The reason for this was simply that the feature doesn't bring much to the gameplay other than the slight irritation of having a delay, which archer characters will have after every dungeon with the fast wear rate on bows. In that light, he amount of complexity required to track it all also didn't seem worth the effort. I'm happy to add it, however if I do, it'll be optional because I personally don't want it when I play the game.

So, is there much interest in the delay feature of repairs out there? Did it bring atmosphere to the world when you experienced it in classic?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Prester Lewin

Post by Prester Lewin »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:45 am This is not a bug, but a feature that was intentionally not implemented when I originally did repairing. The reason for this was simply that the feature doesn't bring much to the gameplay other than the slight irritation of having a delay, which archer characters will have after every dungeon with the fast wear rate on bows. In that light, he amount of complexity required to track it all also didn't seem worth the effort. I'm happy to add it, however if I do, it'll be optional because I personally don't want it when I play the game.

So, is there much interest in the delay feature of repairs out there? Did it bring atmosphere to the world when you experienced it in classic?
Very fair comment about the bows. Answer to your question: no. If we must have it, I'd prefer it to be optional.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

I like the optional idea, as long as its not to much of a hassle for you, and the tracking repair in the journal sounds like a good change.
The thing about waiting for repairs to be done for me is it gives you a reason to explore whatever City you're in, that's how I always played it, that and hoarding backup weapons, because the bows are made out of paper mache.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So interest level is very low at a single poster, although given it's you Midknightprince, I'm tempted to do it anyway... :D

Anyone else value it?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods